Tiger Stripes Part II

This shirt is from FB.

The seller searched the matching pants for this shirt for a while, too.

Just same fading and same pattern.

BUT this shirt is NOT the same on the photo.

"Same, but different"

LOL

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, i have had this for a while.

I bought it from known seller who is also member here. He stated that all patches are real except name tape. I have looked name tape many times and it actually looks to be there quite long time there. Name is readable from fabric from inside.

Could this name tape be original? any ideas welcome

Thanks Mikko

Uniform

post-5424-0-45361300-1373102805.jpg

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Close up

post-5424-0-94017200-1373102837.jpg

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

Close up 2

post-5424-0-97067700-1373102875.jpg

Spike, could be. When i bought set i was planned to remove all insignia from it...

Bob, yes like seller said (i quess you know who seller is) that patches are real except name tape. but after seeing it in hand it was name tape who seems to be most long there. i can easily see name when looking fabric inside.

Or someone has made good job making it look old addition.

Mikko

• 3 weeks later...

Been a military collector for a long time but have a new interest in Vietnam collecting. Was fortunate to score a large collection of color slides from the estate of a USMC advisor to the 3rd S. Viet. marines in 64' and 65' earlier this summer. Also was able to get the only piece of Vietnam uniform clothing of his left, a S. Vietnamese made USMC style fatigue cap in TS and I have a color slide of him wearing the cap. I will try to post some pics of the cap and slides soon.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since I've posted.... so lets get this going again.

I bought this helmet at a place called the Supply Sergeant when it was located on the corner if 7th St. and Santa Monica, Blvd, in Santa Monica, back in 1980. It was part of a display they had set up and I bugged the guy for about two months before he finally sold it to me. I think I paid about $30.00 for it back then, which was serious dinero for a kid in high school.

The material is real and the stitching is all cotton - but I'd bet money it was a movie prop made back in the early - mid 1970's as there are no nicks or tears anywhere on the fabric - even around the base of the helmet where you'd expect it to take a beating. Either way, it's pretty cool looking and one of my favorites. Being that I bought it way back in the day, I can vouch for it being "pre-tiger collector", or if anything, pre 1980.

DCP02190_zps2c6d5079.jpg

DCP02192_zps8f5df78c.jpg

DCP02194_zps9974616a.jpg

DCP02196_zps6b4daca9.jpg

DCP02191_zps71147e0a.jpg

Some killer stiff used to come out of the basement there.

There was always great foreign camo and lots of ARVN camo mixed in with the used jungle fatigues and bdu's. When they closed it, more great stuff came out. Then as they start moving stuff over to the Supply Sgt on Lincoln, they found even more great tiger items.

My favorite memory of that shop was the cardboard box behind the showcases that was full of patches removed from uniforms.....Every spare dollar I had, while I was in college, went into that box, Vietnamese made pieces, WWII theatre made patches, bullion, raw silk, etc....

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I figured a few of you locals would remember that place! Once it moved over to Lincoln Blvd. though, the better stuff seemed to dry up. Remember the piles and piles of Viet Nam era uniforms in those bins? Jeez... overwhelming at times. Many tigers were found there! And lets not forget Tom Compos (and Ronnie) at Muskrat Clothing down on 2nd and Ocean... He had some wild, off the wall stuff too.

Here is another I thought I'd share. Note the gauze tag dated 1965. This thing is stone mint - one wash and that tag would be history.

113_1310_zpse6502830.jpg

113_1314_zpsaf2128cd.jpg

113_1311_zps2ca22e28.jpg

122_2295_zpsb5d5b4c0.jpg

That's a killer cover...ditto the shirt too! :o When I was at a big show back in August I came across an M1 helmet which had been directly painted with that very pattern. It looked absolutely great! Possibly/probably a "collectors'" helmet, but nevertheless worthy of shelf space. It was relatively expensive, so I "ummed" and "ahhed" whilst walking around the show looking at other stuff. Then...I decided to buy it. I headed back to the dealer's tent (an Italian) to find that he was packing up. I told him I wanted the helmet but, even though the cash was in my hand, he wasn't inclined to go through his boxes to find it for me! I still bemoan hedging my decision! :(

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I knew you'd remember them Owen! Ronnie always had some weird, patched out stripe stuff. I traded a lot of stuff with him back in the day. I'm pretty sure I told you years ago - maybe when we met up at Fort MacArthur, but I traded him the stripe shirt Martin Sheen wore. Four pairs of pants and three jackets I think is what I got out of it. I kick myself now. That had to be about 1984... I wonder what ever happened to that shirt. Any ideas?