Tiger Stripes Part II

Hi Mike,

I've seen that part of the thread you linked thanks and you're right it's the same pattern. I was hoping that someone had some more info on this particular Tiger pattern ie pics of it being worn or someone who has or has had this pattern in their collection but with some provenance. The PRU late war tiger shirt I posted has the same buttons but very different construction. The vert tiger pat. is crudely made while the late war is professionally manufactured. The USAF jacket on the link you posted looks like a Korean style with the flightjacket type pocket on the sleeve as well as the way it's made.

I just find it interesting when you get a piece that isn't typical and other collectors don't know much or anything about it.

It's definitely not the Pilipino Vertical Tiger. Completely different pattern. Had to have been used by someone somewhere? I hope someone can shed some light.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got these golds while ago, heavy weight asian cut model, 30 waist by 32 length

I like more us made golds so these most likely end for a sale

Mikko

post-5424-0-23497600-1353155086.jpg

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I note the seller ended the sale early. That suggests someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse, outside of ebay. This is a tactic often used by "must have" collectors so someone out there must have considered this set to be legit and was prepared to pay a premium for it. (See the link below)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68314-tiger-stripes-part-two/

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this set (or cut) is known as an early set and I also know what that not-so-popular-guy-who-wrote-that-book calls this pattern but I won't repeat it.

However, he claims that this cut of trousers should have a side take up tab that faces forward, which I have seen pics of. But my set has side take up tabs that face backward.

What do you guys think? A reputable guy looked briefly at them and said they were OK but after a fresh look because I may get rid of them, I noticed the side take up tabs.

Also, assuming these are good to go, were these made on Okinawa?

Thanks for any help.

post-15696-0-99193200-1358378490.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Member:

ASMIC

OVMS

Primary interests:

The United States Army in WWII

The United States Army in Vietnam

My YouTube patch channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxXvNiUvwbB-e4i0gl-RrFA

WANTED:

WWII:

551st PIB pocket and shoulder patches

504th PIR real deal pocket patch 

Trousers:

post-15696-0-45689000-1358378831.jpg

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Member:

ASMIC

OVMS

Primary interests:

The United States Army in WWII

The United States Army in Vietnam

My YouTube patch channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxXvNiUvwbB-e4i0gl-RrFA

WANTED:

WWII:

551st PIB pocket and shoulder patches

504th PIR real deal pocket patch 

First off ..killer tiger set !

Very nice colors and print ..........VERY Robin Moore .

Just looked at my 2 pairs and tabs both face back like yours ........I even have a pair that the tabs have been cut off......

Baker made tigers for sure .

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I like these most where black stays really dark

"Mistakes in combat are unpardonable sins, punishable by death." By Joe Walker, RT California

great shirt! the colours are very nice! I saw the auction too...

even more cool to see exact this shirt on the photo with the original owner!

where this was for sale?

Mikko

This one was from Ebay out of Kansas. The other photos just show some aerial shots from inside a helicopter. I will try to contact the seller to see if I can get more info on the soldier and his unit. I have owned quite a few tigers in the past but this is the first I have had with the soldier wearing the same shirt in a photo.

Thank you all for the compliments, they are very appreciated. I consider myself very lucky to win this one. I think the reason the coat is in such good condition is because the seller also told me that along with the coat there was a OD boonie hat, Sgt. stripes and a VC ammo pouch in the bag with the coat. Probably all were put in the bag upon the soldiers return. They mentioned that they will not be listing the other items. No worries on that. The coat has a good home.