Tiger Stripes Part II

US-S marking

post-203-1319120588.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US-S marking

post-203-1319120588.jpg

BEAST, your pants are called Classic Tiger (or by Johnson book: John Wayne Dense: JWD) , Silver pattern is a little confusing name since it is applied for 2 different patterns. I f you look closer, you must find a faded Quality Control tag

Ok folks, I recently purchased these trousers and thought I would put them up for discussion. The photos are from the collector from whom I purchased them, so if you need better detailed photos, let me know! I asked one of our forum members who knows much more than I do (or will) about Vietnam uniforms and he felt that they were the silver pattern. The only detail that I can add is that they have a HAMA zipper. Were HAMA zippers used? I thought it was primarily YKK.

post-203-1319120529.jpg

Orgianl JWD pattern , garment cut is BUT-7P1 which comes either with a aluminum HAMA zipper or a aluminum YKK number 5!

The Japanese quality controll tag is most likely gone with out leaving any trace!?

But dont worry your pants are right as rain!

Usually we calling only the TDS as the classic silver pattern not the JWD some old collectors might do this but thats obsolete and just confusing!

cheers

mike

Here is the pattern on your Japanese made trousers ............Classic Silver ....Okinawa pattern .

This fabric is the EXACT same lightweight fabric as John Wayne's custom set and is Exact same as Martin Sheen's off the shelf suit and a certain uniform used in the Deer hunter........but lets not forget another certain Alien movie.

This fabric is a high quality poplin and can be seen showing up on high quality custom wartime uniforms.

But again the print is from 1963 and beyond predates any use by Hollywood.

owen

post-2009-1319215420.jpg

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Here is the pattern on your Japanese made trousers ............Classic Silver ....Okinawa pattern .

This fabric is the EXACT same lightweight fabric as John Wayne's custom set and is Exact same as Martin Sheen's off the shelf suit and a certain uniform used in the Deer hunter........but lets not forget another certain Alien movie.

This fabric is a high quality poplin and can be seen showing up on high quality custom wartime uniforms.

But again the print is from 1963 and beyond predates any use by Hollywood.

owen

Hi kammo-man,

thanks for posting this detailed and clear image. A question if I may - this print features a distinctive secondary colour of jade green rather than the more usual brown tone. Are you able to pinpoint this colour variant of this print to a specific year or span of manufacture ? I illustrate an image of one of my shirts, which from the pattern type I interpret as early-mid 60s. Just trying to see if I can pinpoint the exact year / region of manufacture of this shirt..

Thanks for your sage advice.

Pluto

post-4733-1319304701.jpg

post-4733-1319304724.jpg

P ,

This is full on 1963 made fabric.

You always find this first print with the NOT brown color , its always very sharp print , just like your custom shirt ,but the print I show is brushed cotton , yours is slightly heaver right ?

o

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

P ,

This is full on 1963 made fabric.

You always find this first print with the NOT brown color , its always very sharp print , just like your custom shirt ,but the print I show is brushed cotton , yours is slightly heaver right ?

o

Thanks O - indeed, this is medium weight fabric, nice smooth crisp sheen to it, not brushed -

cheers - !

P

Dont forget ,

Just because its the first Oki made fabric in 63 ..its shelf life was well into 65, after that it was made redundant by all the new formats , prints and other manufactures getting into the act.

I hope this helps mate.

owen

Like I said ..........with more factories making the cloth ,things began to change , colors and fabric almost took on a life of their own with extreme manufactures variations becoming the norm.

Gone were the days of a single large size stripe pattern ..........and in came the Golds.....

This pattern had many different colorways , none for seasons but simply put, different dye lots using different dyes.

This makes some of the nicest of the tiger patterns.

The cloth is Always soft to the touch, the print Vat dyed.

here is a chocolate Gold print ......on a mint shirt.

This is similar to "the clash' print.

post-2009-1319419452.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Ok folks, I recently purchased these trousers and thought I would put them up for discussion. The photos are from the collector from whom I purchased them, so if you need better detailed photos, let me know! I asked one of our forum members who knows much more than I do (or will) about Vietnam uniforms and he felt that they were the silver pattern. The only detail that I can add is that they have a HAMA zipper. Were HAMA zippers used? I thought it was primarily YKK.

post-203-1319120529.jpg

Thanks to everyone for providing their input on these trousers! What an amazing amount of knowledge we have on this forum.

Owen, Thank you for posting an incredible reference!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

• 1 month later...

Some very nice tigers!

The shirt in post #978 is definitely a repro!

All the other ones are legit!

Like you sait post #974 is a Thai pattern, #976 a leightweight pattern (Late War lightwight Dense *LLD*)

The shirt in post #980 is called ARVN classic (Advisor's Type Dense *ADD*) its not a real gold pattern but looks a bit close to it!

Thanks for posting your tigers!

Mike