• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tiger Stripes Part II

Hey Bravo 2 Zero,

If you get the chance check to see if the set you have pictured is SOFs item number AV977. Last year I was reading on one of the Vietnam reenactor sites that www.1944airborne.com also known as SOF was selling the same sets as Moore had. They did a side by side comparison with pictures and you couldn't tell the difference.

Yeah it's same print and cut but I think the colour is slighty different. The colour looks slightly less green more tan at the side of moores. I think the sof sets will fade lighter and faster at the side of a Moore one.

But for the cash us UK fellas can buy without risk of being stung by customs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just catching up on my reading.... the first thread. You guys mentioned tigers used in movies. Back on post 1270 or so, there were some shots of one used in the Green Beret movie.

I'm attaching photos of my set - matching shirt and pants in that very lightweight material. Note the buttons.... also the pockets (or lack thereof) on the pant legs. Just the flap is there.

Interestingly, inside the pants is marked "Stacy w/leg on". Note the marked out "Western Costume Co" stamp as well.

I'd love to try and match up my set with the photos Vintage Productions has of from the costume dept. Maybe see who wore this set by matching the stripes?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Man, I love this thread....

101_3754.jpg

101_3748.jpg

101_3751.jpg

101_3753.jpg

101_3750.jpg

101_3752.jpg

The wife bought me Green Berets on Blu ray for Christmas, as you know the picture is stunning.

Well after watching it a few times i noticed the only person who wore the style of uniform was John Wayne. The chest pockets and zippo pockets were sewn down, the pants had flaps but no cargo pocket. Also the camo colours looked odd at the side of other actors who wore more genuine tailored suits. Waynes suit was very green where as the rest had the OD tint to them.

I wouldn't like to say it's John Waynes, could be a Hero suit or extra set, but the only person i saw on screen was John Wayne in this configuration. Like when he's in the 1st patt tropical suit, regular 4 pocket shirt sewn down pockets and green pants minus cargo pockets, nobody else in the movie dressed like that.

Western still has some of these sets .

I was there 4 weeks ago and seen them.

There are 2 types .

1st type has Viet style buttons .

2nd type US style buttons .

US button type all are like this set pictured.

False pockets on trousers.

All lightweight fabric.

Now the markings are all the same that is pre bar code with the old style yellow print.

This is a great set of movie tigers as made from real lightweight tiger that is seen on custom items , pockets ect .

Well done and something to keep and enjoy.

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I was involved in the London music scene in the late 70s when tigers where being worn by a number of groups - the Clash, certainly, but also a lot by the early industrial groups Throbbing Gristle, 23 Skidoo and A Certain Ratio. There was also a fair amount of German splinter camo being worn. This is when I first started being interested in and wearing Tigers. I will post some pics when I have time to dig them out. A lot of the girls on the scene liked them due to the small sizes.

Oh, those converse are COOL...

The Real McCoy's hooded sweater above would also go well with them...

I think it's fair to say tigers are defninitely 'in' :lol:

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

It is interesting that Buzz Rickson, who are normally total sticklers for smallest detail, have at least one major error that in the pattern for their Tigers. This really makes them look quite wrong. I wonder if they have done this deliberately to stop them being sold on as originals. Also calling them 'Gold Tiger' seems strange a little strange when it is the classic pattern/JWD - again, not like the usual Buzz Rickson level of correctness.

WHere can you buy Buzz Ricksons's?

You can buy direct without a proxy from Japanese sites like Vari and Milwaukee who will ship overseas. History Preservation in the U.S. sells BR as well, but no TS.

It is interesting that Buzz Rickson, who are normally total sticklers for smallest detail, have at least one major error that in the pattern for their Tigers. This really makes them look quite wrong. I wonder if they have done this deliberately to stop them being sold on as originals. Also calling them 'Gold Tiger' seems strange a little strange when it is the classic pattern/JWD - again, not like the usual Buzz Rickson level of correctness.

The Buzz Rickson gold's are good for just wearing around but not their usual quality. I loaned them three sets of original golds for them to copy. I feel they were rushed to get these out and just cut a bunch of corners.

www.vintageproductions.com

"A militaria show is a social event for anti-socials" - A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Items are geared towards people who want to wear tigers and look cool..............

simply put one of the best fashion patterns ever , due in part to , The Clash , Apoc now ,Deer Hunter , Close Encounters of the third kind well I am joking about the last one but you get the picture.

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Tiger Stripes have been collected for a long time in Japan, probably stronger then anywhere else in the world, besides the US. Plus tiger stripes are worn as a fashion item there.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

The Buzz Rickson gold's are good for just wearing around but not their usual quality. I loaned them three sets of original golds for them to copy. I feel they were rushed to get these out and just cut a bunch of corners.

Thats interesting. When I heard they where doing them I thought they would be the one company that would put out a near perfect copy. Still, I guess it does protect the collector market a little bit.

The only Japanese company that has ever hit the remakes dead on, was MASH. It took them three years to devlop their pattern, find the right cloth printer and manufacture before they hit the market. The rest just slap them together and ran them.