Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

• 2 weeks later...

This is a nice photo, took from the site warboats.org (support them, it is a very informative site). A Special Boat Squadron 1 soldier (so post 1978 photo). Took circa 1981/1983 probably.

caption says

Mad Dog Evanouski SOC firing the Stoner LMG, note oddly

enough his old Vietnam tiger stripes blend well with the desert.

photo0001.jpg

Wow! thats a awesome shot of using orginal tigertripes after vietnam!

Looks like late war black button tiger set!?

Thanks for sharing that!

Mike

Hi, having no experiance with Tiger Stripes I need your help.

What do you think about this Jacket and Trousers?

Jacket: sleeves with gussets, collar with adjustment tab,

all 3 pockets with very strange drain net

Trouser: only two pockets, also with the strange drain net,

gas flap, leg bottom drawstrings.

I think, the labels are typical DPSC, but the combination of

only one size in figures in combination with the length in words

is strange too?

Have you ever seen something like this?

In any case this suit is old and made of good quality.

Is it a fantasy product, experimental or what else?

Thanks for your answers.

post-6884-1325947549.jpg

post-6884-1325948583.jpg

Hi, having no experiance with Tiger Stripes I need your help.

What do you think about this Jacket and Trousers?

Jacket: sleeves with gussets, collar with adjustment tab,

all 3 pockets with very strange drain net

Trouser: only two pockets, also with the strange drain net,

gas flap, leg bottom drawstrings.

I think, the labels are typical DPSC, but the combination of

only one size in figures in combination with the length in words

is strange too?

Have you ever seen something like this?

In any case this suit is old and made of good quality.

Is it a fantasy product, experimental or what else?

Thanks for your answers.

post-6884-1325947549.jpg

post-6884-1325948583.jpg

Thats a quite interesting tiger set!

The DPSC on the lable means Defense Personal Supply Center

So it could be indeed a kind of goverment experimental run of tiger stripe camo?

I never seen one of those before?

Very unusual for sure!

Mike

Weird indeed .

The labels look like you said ...but the mesh is different .

Could they be fashion tigers ?

I would love to do a hands on inspection of them .

cool post .

owen

One has to wonder if his is from the same time frame as the experimental poncho. I have only one example and I have vague memory of it having similar stamp (although not label) as this set. The pattern certainly looks similar to the giant Thai pattern of the poncho.

It does seem incredible that an experimental army tiger set has not shown up before. If it is ligit, has to be about the rearest tiger out there.

bravo_2_zero

Way ahead of its time that last tiger set. The mesh pockets were only just trialled here in the UK by special forces with modified smocks and BDU's.

The trouser pocket design kind of mirrors the hunting ones of the 60's period, high.

The garment tags mirror the ones found on here on a woodland BDU with angular chest pockets. Which are believed to be from the very early 80's.

I'm guessing this maybe a part of the ERDL replacement trials where we saw enlarged ERDL to woodland sized shapes which bore the same tags, and maybe the first attempt digital BDU. The US was still playing with tiger print after Vietnam as we have seen on here ERDL's overprinted with hunting tigers black stripes.

The tags looks very US goverment made!?

You always find similar tags on other experimental garments fron the 60ies and 70ies!

That could be realy indeed a very rare US experimental garment and one of the rarest tiger ever?

post-4070-1326059837.jpg

Way ahead of its time that last tiger set. The mesh pockets were only just trialled here in the UK by special forces with modified smocks and BDU's.

The trouser pocket design kind of mirrors the hunting ones of the 60's period, high.

The garment tags mirror the ones found on here on a woodland BDU with angular chest pockets. Which are believed to be from the very early 80's.

I'm guessing this maybe a part of the ERDL replacement trials where we saw enlarged ERDL to woodland sized shapes which bore the same tags, and maybe the first attempt digital BDU. The US was still playing with tiger print after Vietnam as we have seen on here ERDL's overprinted with hunting tigers black stripes.

I had a 90's UK DPM Jungle/Tropical shirt that had the Mesh pockets, almost identical to the ones on this shirt. Pretty sure it was a trials/experimental item that came from Field textiles (they dispose of a LOT of gear from the MOD)

Does anyone out there have one of the experimental tiger ponchos in their collections? It would be interesting to see if the label/stamp is similiar to the mystery set. One came up on ebay a few years ago, and am pretty sure it was stamped.

So Paul , you reckon its pony ?

I mean all signs point to that.

Got to be right ?

o

No I reckon this looks legit, gut feeling but just looks really pro-made but I reckon the mesh would put it very late war (wen US had moved away from Tigers to ERDL) so maybe later prototype. Odd its never come to light though?

The Tiger poncho is 68 so the mesh could be used then, was used in the grenade vest & survival vestetc

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=562

• 2 weeks later...
Thats a quite interesting tiger set!

The DPSC on the lable means Defense Personal Supply Center

So it could be indeed a kind of goverment experimental run of tiger stripe camo?

I never seen one of those before?

Very unusual for sure!

Mike

I have seen this before ...

Those who are familiar with the UK monthly publication 'Combat & Survival' might remember that when it started out, it was a weekly part-work. One of the very first issues featured a two part article on the Australian SASR in Vietnam - one of the photographed uniform & equipment spreads featured this tiger stripe suit - I remember it distinctly for the mesh vents in the pocket gussets.

If I have the time I will try and find the relevant picture and scan it.

• 2 months later...