Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

I thought this was a pretty good picture--enjoy!

post-70-1304560647.jpg

What pattern is that hat in the LIfe picture? Yes, it is the flightsuit that was for sale. I bought it from a guy in Germany. I washed it once. It REEKED of European cigarette smoke. I need a large. The medium fits me, but I can't lay down in it. I need a Large in barely used condition, which is the condition mine is in. I would like to trade. I like the CAR-15 the guy has. I'd love to have a semi-auto version.

• 2 months later...

Any one have thoughts on this one? Just sold on ebay. It seems to be a strange combination of the two Korean patterns (Johnson - TDS/TDD). Plus it has two buttons on the sleeve pocket and also cuffs, rather than the usual barrel sleeve normally associated with the later war garments. Is is stamped as a US-L. All of which smells odd, but at the same time it does not look like any fakes/repros I am familiar with. Copran, Bob, Owen?

post-13485-1310908993.jpg

There is a tiger issue shirt with the double button pocket ...........but thats not it .

Great search B20 , and why are you not at the big show ?????

Hey Bravo,

its actually a bit different.

The pattern feature in the middle of the back panel of the ebay shirt is from what Johnson calls Tadpole Dense Variant - there have been a couple of shirts kicking around for sale over the last year. Yet the overall configuration of the pattern in the shirt is different incorporating elements from the first Korean pattern/TDS. There is something that does not sit quite right with it being a repro. Although am fully prepared to be shot down in flames on this......

The stripe over the trident doesn't look right, so it s not TDD nor TDV..., the cut is not right also, it should be with barrel cuffs, not botton ones. Probably the repro similar to Nhay Du one

bravo_2_zero
Hey Bravo,

its actually a bit different.

The pattern feature in the middle of the back panel of the ebay shirt is from what Johnson calls Tadpole Dense Variant - there have been a couple of shirts kicking around for sale over the last year. Yet the overall configuration of the pattern in the shirt is different incorporating elements from the first Korean pattern/TDS. There is something that does not sit quite right with it being a repro. Although am fully prepared to be shot down in flames on this......

I've had a look online at these tigers in the later posts, they are produced by SESSLER. They do a blue hue and a true black hue print and both prints seem to be a little different from each other. The blue hue tigers seem to be more sparse and contain more green. I'm guessing washing and wearing these sets would without a doubt change the colours so the black hue will look like the blues.

I have a set of SOF/Moore silvers which I wear daily, either shirt or pants to kick about in. I'm trying like crazy to fade them right to look more authentic but the base colour is getting more green rather than tan. I've even tried putting items in my car windshield in direct sun on hot days ! I'll have to post results soon see what you chaps think ?

Owen, what big show mate ?

Eric.

NobleLoyalGSD

This is a follow up to a post I made quite some time ago about growing up with a friend who wore his dad's Viet Marine tiger shirt whenever we played "army" in the neighborhood.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry332602

I was digging through boxes (and boxes) of family photos after my mom passed away and most recently found a pic of my friend and me. I'm in the ERDLs and he is wearing the tiger shirt. Photo was taken circa 1983. No need to comment about my Brady Bunch haircut. :blushing:

~J

post-1759-1310961409.jpg

Noble ,

10 out of 10 on your picture !!!!

Now thats what old war stuff is for ......wearing and having fun ...........

we sometimes forget that when things get serious and questions are asked about patterns ,buttons ,thread ,names and all the other stuff.

Love the mix and match stuff ..

did your mother cut your hair or did you do the free lance in the bathroom with the scissors ????????

raining in blighty AGAIN ..................on no .

• 3 months later...

Ok folks, I recently purchased these trousers and thought I would put them up for discussion. The photos are from the collector from whom I purchased them, so if you need better detailed photos, let me know! I asked one of our forum members who knows much more than I do (or will) about Vietnam uniforms and he felt that they were the silver pattern. The only detail that I can add is that they have a HAMA zipper. Were HAMA zippers used? I thought it was primarily YKK.

post-203-1319120529.jpg

US-S marking

post-203-1319120588.jpg

BEAST, your pants are called Classic Tiger (or by Johnson book: John Wayne Dense: JWD) , Silver pattern is a little confusing name since it is applied for 2 different patterns. I f you look closer, you must find a faded Quality Control tag

Ok folks, I recently purchased these trousers and thought I would put them up for discussion. The photos are from the collector from whom I purchased them, so if you need better detailed photos, let me know! I asked one of our forum members who knows much more than I do (or will) about Vietnam uniforms and he felt that they were the silver pattern. The only detail that I can add is that they have a HAMA zipper. Were HAMA zippers used? I thought it was primarily YKK.

post-203-1319120529.jpg

Orgianl JWD pattern , garment cut is BUT-7P1 which comes either with a aluminum HAMA zipper or a aluminum YKK number 5!

The Japanese quality controll tag is most likely gone with out leaving any trace!?

But dont worry your pants are right as rain!

Usually we calling only the TDS as the classic silver pattern not the JWD some old collectors might do this but thats obsolete and just confusing!

cheers

mike

Here is the pattern on your Japanese made trousers ............Classic Silver ....Okinawa pattern .

This fabric is the EXACT same lightweight fabric as John Wayne's custom set and is Exact same as Martin Sheen's off the shelf suit and a certain uniform used in the Deer hunter........but lets not forget another certain Alien movie.

This fabric is a high quality poplin and can be seen showing up on high quality custom wartime uniforms.

But again the print is from 1963 and beyond predates any use by Hollywood.

owen

post-2009-1319215420.jpg

Here is the pattern on your Japanese made trousers ............Classic Silver ....Okinawa pattern .

This fabric is the EXACT same lightweight fabric as John Wayne's custom set and is Exact same as Martin Sheen's off the shelf suit and a certain uniform used in the Deer hunter........but lets not forget another certain Alien movie.

This fabric is a high quality poplin and can be seen showing up on high quality custom wartime uniforms.

But again the print is from 1963 and beyond predates any use by Hollywood.

owen

Hi kammo-man,

thanks for posting this detailed and clear image. A question if I may - this print features a distinctive secondary colour of jade green rather than the more usual brown tone. Are you able to pinpoint this colour variant of this print to a specific year or span of manufacture ? I illustrate an image of one of my shirts, which from the pattern type I interpret as early-mid 60s. Just trying to see if I can pinpoint the exact year / region of manufacture of this shirt..

Thanks for your sage advice.

Pluto

post-4733-1319304701.jpg

post-4733-1319304724.jpg

P ,

This is full on 1963 made fabric.

You always find this first print with the NOT brown color , its always very sharp print , just like your custom shirt ,but the print I show is brushed cotton , yours is slightly heaver right ?

o

P ,

This is full on 1963 made fabric.

You always find this first print with the NOT brown color , its always very sharp print , just like your custom shirt ,but the print I show is brushed cotton , yours is slightly heaver right ?

o

Thanks O - indeed, this is medium weight fabric, nice smooth crisp sheen to it, not brushed -

cheers - !

P

Dont forget ,

Just because its the first Oki made fabric in 63 ..its shelf life was well into 65, after that it was made redundant by all the new formats , prints and other manufactures getting into the act.

I hope this helps mate.

owen

By 64 this was the most typical tiger being used by non - Marine type uniforms.

When exposed to sun this will Purple.

Back panel from a mint tailor made uniform.

post-2009-1319325843.jpg