Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Bombe_Atomique

Nice hat, Owen.

@Mike Force: are these buttons also on the cargo pockets?

They look a little bit too small for such pockets.

The shirts me and AK have posted weren't combat garments, or were they?

Nice hat, Owen.

@Mike Force: are these buttons also on the cargo pockets?

They look a little bit too small for such pockets.

The shirts me and AK have posted weren't combat garments, or were they?

Yes there are actually on the cargo pockets.

Nice pants you have here, here is the set I have with the same pants even the buttons are different, I think it s a commercial issue but made in the same time and by the same maker. The garment is thinner than the military JWD. The shirt is like the OG shirt while the pants retain the HBT W2 pants with only 2 cargo pockets.. I think they were made in the middle 60s before being replaced by the "poplin" JWD material with only 2 hips pockets on the shirt.

Very nice shirt!

There is a pants from my collection with exactly the same buttons like on the shirt.

I saw this small-thin black buttons a couple times before but always on light-weight custom made pices made out of this tiger pattern.

Thx. for the posting!

post-1523-1291416958.jpg

Nice pants you have here, here is the set I have with the same pants even the buttons are different, I think it s a commercial issue but made in the same time and by the same maker. The garment is thinner than the military JWD. The shirt is like the OG shirt while the pants retain the HBT W2 pants with only 2 cargo pockets.. I think they were made in the middle 60s before being replaced by the "poplin" JWD material with only 2 hips pockets on the shirt.

Hi Guys,

That's a great set you showing here Cop.!

I realy like to see your shirt that's what I'am looking for since a while too.

A couple years ago I had a JWD okinawa made flight suit with a with cloth tag.

This flight suit was made exactely out of the same light weight fabric like those garments.

It's definitely japan made I suspect early to mid 60s as well!

thx for sharing it!

Couple of questions for the crew if I may....

#1 When are we going to get a Tiger book? :thumbsup:

#2 Did any wartime tiger pants use the cinch pull/tab waist adjustment?

#3 IF NOT, did they first appear with repos? TSP mainly?

#4 I saw in RJs book a pic of buttons he felt were used on Tigers, one is a domed/smooth blackish button., he called it a "Discus" I just went thru 133 pages of tiger again and I did not see any with those buttons, did any tiger actually use those buttons? Any particular type or hit and miss throughout the war?

THANK YOU!!

Superb hat Owen, thank you for taking the trouble to post It! i have it's brother somewhere thanks to member Copran.

Thank you Copran :thumbsup:

Yours, Guy.

Bombe_Atomique

bought some repro uniforms on ebay: the golden gold tigers from gogogo1944 not longer produced, the new production of gold tigers not faded to gold and the classic tiger copy by panzerfaust.

If there's any interest I could take some pictures next week or maybe weekend.

Private Joker

Hello All

Ok Now that I spent the better part of two days foing through Tiger Stripes (Original Thread) and Tiger Stripe Part Duex. I am more confused than anything.

I do know one thing. I really want a set of Tigers.

I don't think I will be ever able to afford a set of originals. Even though that is my Holy Grail, becauseI am not so luckiy as most members here. Over the past 10 years I have never ever found garage sale, estale sale, gun show/militaria show or thrift store finds! But I never give up.

I was hoping someone on this thread could help with the following.

Can a summary of current available Tiger Pattern BDU's be done? Providing information as to which are the closest to original, and where they are available.

I have had my eye on Mooremiltaria (Trey 's) Tadpole set. But in these threads I have read there are so many more available from MASH, SM wholesale and manufacturers from Asian markets to name a few. It all makes my head spin.

Since there are so many sources of availability I was hoping that someone here that obviously has allot more knowledge would be able to put a summary together (list). Perhaps providing current maufacturers, Product description, Where available, Pro's Con's and just recommending which current available tigers best reprresent the Vietnam era tigers.

Thanks

for the money and new sized fit Treys is a great starter.

He just restocked also. I've been putting it off, but I'll probably break down and grab a set of the large right after

Christmas. He has good service if you decide to place an order.

vintageproductions

Trey's sets are great for your needs.

You won't find a set of the MASH tigers. His remakes sell for as much as originals now.

Have a look at these puppies !

156873_475736763025_551878025_5792792_6138352_n.jpg

68256_475736868025_551878025_5792794_7820902_n.jpg

163136_475736958025_551878025_5792795_4007223_n.jpg

164628_475737053025_551878025_5792796_7366786_n.jpg

166116_475737148025_551878025_5792797_4239437_n.jpg

I've been wanting some non TSP tigers for ages and stuff coming from China looks rubbish and cheap. The stuff from Moore has been on my wanting list but factor in exchange rate, postage etc... customs and might as well buy originals !

Here in England a company called SOF in Wales knocking out these babies for £40 per garment, £15 uncut boonie and £20 for a beret. These are brill for the money and dare i say after a few washes with the US-M stamp and no other tags could be resold on the bay and get more than i payed by fakers.

Hey Bravo 2 Zero,

If you get the chance check to see if the set you have pictured is SOFs item number AV977. Last year I was reading on one of the Vietnam reenactor sites that www.1944airborne.com also known as SOF was selling the same sets as Moore had. They did a side by side comparison with pictures and you couldn't tell the difference.

Hey Bravo 2 Zero,

If you get the chance check to see if the set you have pictured is SOFs item number AV977. Last year I was reading on one of the Vietnam reenactor sites that www.1944airborne.com also known as SOF was selling the same sets as Moore had. They did a side by side comparison with pictures and you couldn't tell the difference.

Yeah it's same print and cut but I think the colour is slighty different. The colour looks slightly less green more tan at the side of moores. I think the sof sets will fade lighter and faster at the side of a Moore one.

But for the cash us UK fellas can buy without risk of being stung by customs.

I was just catching up on my reading.... the first thread. You guys mentioned tigers used in movies. Back on post 1270 or so, there were some shots of one used in the Green Beret movie.

I'm attaching photos of my set - matching shirt and pants in that very lightweight material. Note the buttons.... also the pockets (or lack thereof) on the pant legs. Just the flap is there.

Interestingly, inside the pants is marked "Stacy w/leg on". Note the marked out "Western Costume Co" stamp as well.

I'd love to try and match up my set with the photos Vintage Productions has of from the costume dept. Maybe see who wore this set by matching the stripes?

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Man, I love this thread....

101_3754.jpg

101_3748.jpg

101_3751.jpg

101_3753.jpg

101_3750.jpg

101_3752.jpg

The wife bought me Green Berets on Blu ray for Christmas, as you know the picture is stunning.

Well after watching it a few times i noticed the only person who wore the style of uniform was John Wayne. The chest pockets and zippo pockets were sewn down, the pants had flaps but no cargo pocket. Also the camo colours looked odd at the side of other actors who wore more genuine tailored suits. Waynes suit was very green where as the rest had the OD tint to them.

I wouldn't like to say it's John Waynes, could be a Hero suit or extra set, but the only person i saw on screen was John Wayne in this configuration. Like when he's in the 1st patt tropical suit, regular 4 pocket shirt sewn down pockets and green pants minus cargo pockets, nobody else in the movie dressed like that.

Western still has some of these sets .

I was there 4 weeks ago and seen them.

There are 2 types .

1st type has Viet style buttons .

2nd type US style buttons .

US button type all are like this set pictured.

False pockets on trousers.

All lightweight fabric.

Now the markings are all the same that is pre bar code with the old style yellow print.

This is a great set of movie tigers as made from real lightweight tiger that is seen on custom items , pockets ect .

Well done and something to keep and enjoy.

owen

I was involved in the London music scene in the late 70s when tigers where being worn by a number of groups - the Clash, certainly, but also a lot by the early industrial groups Throbbing Gristle, 23 Skidoo and A Certain Ratio. There was also a fair amount of German splinter camo being worn. This is when I first started being interested in and wearing Tigers. I will post some pics when I have time to dig them out. A lot of the girls on the scene liked them due to the small sizes.

Guys

Out of the current repro tigers which are the best ones to buy

Stu

Try www.mooremilitaria.com. He's got sets in all sizes for $145 and he's got good service.