Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Thanks for your comments Owen, Guy and Spike!!

It took a while for me to respond on them because I am now on my honeymoon and have limited opportunities to go on-line.

Just before I left I had the chance to do a burn test on the yarn of the boonie and it turned out to be cotton! :thumbsup:

(I have done burn tests before with different material and read the thread about burn tests, so I know what I am talking about.)

In the pictures I posted in Post #585 and Post #588 you can see (most obviously in the black areas) that the higher areas of the fabric, that endure the most distress, are faded. It reminds me of painted wood which it lightly sanded before you repaint it.

The paint is definitely less integrated in the fabric than you would see with modern factory made camo fabric.

I compared it with a cheap repro tiger stripes boonie I ordered from the Cavelry Store catalog in the previous century before the days of on-line ordering, and the paint on that one is really IN the fabric.

So my boonie might still be in the race?

Corpsmancollector

Hey guys,

I just came across this; a child's 2 piece suit made from gold TS. What are your thoughts on it? Looks to me like it could be good? Would welcome your thoughts.

post-5339-1282496143.jpg

Corpsmancollector

Thanks for the comments Spike and O, a fellow forum member now has the piece in their collection. Here's one from Jason (via eBay) which I thought would be a cool addition to the archive; a TS 'patrol cap'.

post-5339-1282945782.jpg

Thanks for the comments Spike and O, a fellow forum member now has the piece in their collection. Here's one from Jason (via eBay) which I thought would be a cool addition to the archive; a TS 'patrol cap'.

post-5339-1282945782.jpg

EH, It might be an Idea to ask Jason If he minds you posting his Images here. Not being contrary but I know some dealers don't like having their pictures lifted without permission.

Yours, Guy.

Corpsmancollector
EH, It might be an Idea to ask Jason If he minds you posting his Images here. Not being contrary but I know some dealers don't like having their pictures lifted without permission.

Yours, Guy.

Hi Guy,

Thanks for raising the issue. Although the above pictures of the patrol cap above were taken from eBay and not Jason's site (however I did add some pictures from Jason's site to another thread) so they should be ok as the majority of pictures on the forum are lifted from eBay? But in future, I will ask before using them. I just thought it would make a good addition to the thread, I'll think twice in future.

EDIT: I have just checked Jason's site and I can't see anything which says the images (or anything else for that matter) are copyrighted. I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like it to me.

• 2 weeks later...

47566_428910173025_551878025_5020217_7628702_n.jpg

47566_428910178025_551878025_5020218_7888615_n.jpg

47566_428910183025_551878025_5020219_6382180_n.jpg

47566_428910188025_551878025_5020220_7975837_n.jpg

47566_428910193025_551878025_5020221_764349_n.jpg

This jacket was with that set i bought, I was a little quick i think to brandish it as TSP as on 2nd look it had no tags, the other 2 items did.

Someone wrote XXL in the jacket in marker but it fits like a US Med with a little bit of shrink.

It may not be real but it only matches my 2 TSP sets in the pattern used. Buttons,pockets,and cuffs don't come close to matching mine.

A place called Omaha Surplus has got a limited supply of TSP tops and bottoms.Their seconds,and they state that

their not vat dyed and will definetely fade.

Just Google Omaha Surplus and when you get the site put tiger stripe in their seach box and it should put you right

there.

Look at the tiger I posted .........

And look at the last stuff .

Different patterns .....

But you should be able to tell the difference between real and pony ........

owen

It was the pockets and other features that threw me cos they are never found in TSP's. I could have the very 1st run produced jacket then they switched to the US cut jackets. I had a look at the Omaha website and the tigers they are selling are the ones with the funny print that has that random join running through the print. Oh well back on eBay they go , cheers to all

It was the pockets and other features that threw me cos they are never found in TSP's. I could have the very 1st run produced jacket then they switched to the US cut jackets. I had a look at the Omaha website and the tigers they are selling are the ones with the funny print that has that random join running through the print. Oh well back on eBay they go , cheers to all

The very first run was made in Thailand and sold when TSP went by the name Boval. The pocket pattern on them was the advisor two button.

The second run can be seen in "the horrid book" listed by Johnson as the "Bolding" pattern. Still sold under the name Boval rather than TSP, and advisor two button pockets. I bought the last of the cloth from them.

The third run was sold as the first TSP pattern, again, two button pockets.

Your coat is a fourth run pattern, 2nd TSP, with alterations to take up the sides. The pocket top stitching looks off in your picture, like someone changed the top to "make" it look like a RVN issue piece.

Their fifth run, 3rd TSP, fades wierd and the cloth left a line where it was folded when the pants were washed. This run was not offered long.

Their sixth run, 4th TSP, was the light cloth that faded to a gray, and was the crappiest they sold.

The seventh run, 5th TSP, was very heavy cloth, dark green versus an olive tint. Again, I bought some of that cloth from them.

The eighth run, 6th TSP was probably the best cloth and pattern coloration they did. They did a couple more runs where the variations were so slight you can only tell them in the wash fade.

Somewhere around run 11 they went to a pattern that just looked "bright" when you saw it in the day light and it had modern USGI buttons. I did not buy any of these.

There were a couple of runs after that with the USGI buttons and the only difference in these is the wash fade.

Then there was the short crotch pants runs and TRU-Spec.

In all of these I never saw a single button pocket shirt made by them.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone has some info on this ? This is not VN era right?

A buddy of mine wants to use it for VN reenacment but I've encouraged him to go ERDL cause I have my doubts on this

dscf0001-1.jpg

dscf0003-1.jpg

dscf0002-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...