Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Hi Guys,

I'm somewhat new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and just recently started to post. I'm looking for some expert advice about a set of tiger pants I have. I'm trying to figure out if they are genuine Nam era or if they are MASH or maybe something else. They look legit to me but there are a couple things that seem a little off from what I've seen in the past...

They are labeled US-M and measure out at about 33"x34". (I'm 6'5" and they fit me great. That's never happened before)

The zipper is YKK and looks brand new, almost too new.

The colors match up really well against a near mint shirt I know is legit Nam era but the sheen to the fabric is a little shinier on the pants in question.

The black stripes do not have really crisps edges. They sort of "wave" along the texture of the fabric.

These points lead me to believe it it is a MASH pair of pants. But, when I compare it to a pair of pants I know are MASH pants the cut is way different. The MASH pants are also significantly shorter.

One last item to bring up is that there was a little tag with the US-M stamp on it in the front pocket. It seems to be a lightweight craft paper similar to an old grocery bag.

Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks,

Jay

post-7009-1259724031.jpg

great unissued pair of pants complete with the paper issue tag .

Congrats

owen

Thanks Owen.

These just seemed a little "too good to be true" for me. The longer I had them, the more I questioned them... Thanks for clearing my head about them!

Later,

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
Bombe_Atomique

Hi everybody,

I haven't any tiger stripe items yet.

One of my co-workers is going on vacation to Thailand and Laos.

Is there any interesting stuff he could look for?

I'm interested in the camo pattern itself in it's different pattern and color variations.

So I would have nothing against good repros.

Or are there even still tailor shops who work with tiger stripe fabric?

I'm looking forward to some advice.

Gerd

Bombe_Atomique
Gerd,

I think wearing tiger is "has been" fashion in Thailand, except you bring your own tiger material, it s very difficult to make one suite because no tailor shop has it.

ok, thank you.

I've just read something about repros from Thailand in this thread, and because the original stuff also came partly from there, I thought, that there's a chance to get some nice tiger clothes from there.

• 5 weeks later...
All seems to same way (fabric,pockets, sewing etc.)

Only difference is fading

post-5424-1264920104.jpg

Your pants are legit, the copy made from HK is not in this pattern

mhk, that is tiger stripe pants that you beat me to in vietnamairsoft. :(

Yep i know :)

But funny thing is that no one didnt wanted to buy pants in first place when he asked 65$

After week he dropped price to 55$ and then i saw thread and sent PM to him

pants are overall in great shape but lots of buttons missing

I have seen 'late war lightweight' copies in Hong Kong and they are pretty damn close to original. I may be going back there in a few weeks, see if I can pick up a sample ....

I have seen 'late war lightweight' copies in Hong Kong and they are pretty damn close to original. I may be going back there in a few weeks, see if I can pick up a sample ....

there is some on ebay now, i think they are $90 a set