Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Hello,

Your 1st set with tailor tag is a modern repro, "improved" in Thailand.

The last set is very nice, could you post few more pics of the pants please

Thanks, when did they start making these "Thai" repros with these tags?

The last two sets are very small, the "A-L" and the "A-M" closeups are from the middle set pictured. I have yet to scour the last set for markings.

Any idea on what the last two sets would fall into tiger pattern wise?

the middle set are golds, or if you use johnson's classifications, late war dense advisors.

the last set looks like what johnson calls john wayne sparse.

Thanks, when did they start making these "Thai" repros with these tags?

The last two sets are very small, the "A-L" and the "A-M" closeups are from the middle set pictured. I have yet to scour the last set for markings.

Any idea on what the last two sets would fall into tiger pattern wise?

I don't know, but your set is probably a Tiger Product reprint, then dishonest seller added the Viet tailor tag, the ink stamp like yours never exists, only size was stamped

The other 2 set are legit Tiger Stripe pattern: the middle one is late war pattern in Asian cut with mid wieght material, the last one is Zigzag (or thing pattern) seldom encountered, the cut must be close to Og107 fatigue cut, probably another tailor made set

"Golds" and "Zig Zags"

As far as the suspected repros go, have these tags and stamps been seen before? If so when did they hit the market?

THANKS

Hi AK101

I agree with Copran i believe is repro not made in Thailand but in Korea or Japan

But maybe is one that we never seen before ????

The other is good to me late war and zz one

Cheers J

Hi AK101

I agree with Copran i believe is repro not made in Thailand but in Korea or Japan

But maybe is one that we never seen before ????

The other is good to me late war and zz one

Cheers J

Thanks

Great info!!

Looks like it is a silver pattern

I concur....

Interesting - looks like there is some staining/discoloration near the bottom of the of crown. Do you have photos of the inside?

It's just one of the current fakes from eBay, you can tell by the bullet band and the brim, they are all made the same way, possibly out of real material.

I concur....

Interesting - looks like there is some staining/discoloration near the bottom of the of crown. Do you have photos of the inside?

Here is pic from inside

And no...its not from "eBay"

post-5424-1258000119.jpg

Here is pic from inside

And no...its not from "eBay"

post-5424-1258000119.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo... From my experience, the brim usually has a rolled edge. However, there very well could of been some made the way yours is. Again, it's difficult to tell from the photos.

Hi guys,

What do you folks think of these trousers? Civilian copy or not? I picked them up at a local thrift shop with a mix of other camo clothes. They are made from lightweight, non-ripstop cotton and have a zipper fly. The zipper is marked "RAPID". The cargo pockets are secured with one button. I have had a few tiger stripe shirts, but they were made of a heavier material and I don't remember them having the standard issue US buttons. No tags or markings remain.

These remind me of the ones that we would see in the surplus shops in the 1980s, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!

post-203-1258114427.jpg

Hi guys,

What do you folks think of these trousers? Civilian copy or not? I picked them up at a local thrift shop with a mix of other camo clothes. They are made from lightweight, non-ripstop cotton and have a zipper fly. The zipper is marked "RAPID". The cargo pockets are secured with one button. I have had a few tiger stripe shirts, but they were made of a heavier material and I don't remember them having the standard issue US buttons. No tags or markings remain.

These remind me of the ones that we would see in the surplus shops in the 1980s, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!

post-203-1258114427.jpg

For sure is Hunting clothes BEAST

Cheers Jerome

For sure is Hunting clothes BEAST

Cheers Jerome

Thanks Jerome! That is what I thought also, but as I mentioned before, it has been awhile since I bought any tiger stripes, and I just wanted to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Owen, or whomever

I have a question on tigerstripes. I bought a group of uniforms from a guy who was a Lrrp in "Vietnam. Everything was great but one jacket I have a question about. The tiger jacket I got from him is ripstop. It has one upper cigarette pocket and 2 lowers. He thought he got it in Thailand. He was in Vietnam until 1970 almost 71 I read somewhere that ripstop tigers were after the war. The trouble is he was not there after and He said the items had not been out of his foot locker since 1971. So , is there any chance there was ripstop tiger available in 1970-71.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Mitch

vintageproductions

Mitch:Rip-stop tiger stripes don't start showing up in Vietnam until around 1974-1975. There were civilian hunting tiger stripes avaialable in the US by then. Maybe he got this piece then, and stuck it in his footlocker. It would be hard to prove that he had a rip-stop piece that early in the 70's and wore them in the field.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks alot . That is what I thought I read somewhere. I quess I should have posted the jacket to see what pattern it is, so now I will. The way it is made reminds me more of a Party item. A single cigarette size pocket to the top, no cuff closures and 2 bottom pockets. The buttons are not quite flat, They have a small dome to the center. No markings. I would like to confirm the pattern and time of manufacture. Thanks again.

Regards, Mitch

post-592-1259086404.jpg

Mitch

You Vet got his story mixed up a bit .

The shirt you posted is a common US made hunting type that was sold in army surplus shops in the late 1970s -80s .

Lets see the rest of his goodies .

owen

Hi,

Thanks Owen. I didn't know hunting uniforms came with a small cigarette pocket. He did go back in the service later and just finished 8 tours in Iraq and Afghanistan and is now retired. He sold all his uniforms at a flea market . He had so many that he could have easily gotten mixed up. I know I would have. I'll start a post here or at WA forum on the group of his other items.

Regards, Mitch

Mitch

Hunters love to smoke , and they need somewhere to put the box !!!

The cut on this jacket goes back into the 1940s at least .

I have seen Sears Robuck tan canvas , lined , unlined , wax cotton , frogskin type cammo all in this cut .

It could be considered a hunting classic mid 20th century .

With the advent of BDU it has kinda died out as a hunting choice .

A classic tiger 3 pocket shirt is just like the Japanese type posted above .

I hope this helps .

owen