Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Hey AIPS, post the picture of you wearing It at Beltring! Could be a period pic, awesome!

Yours, Guy.

do you mean this one guy.

ive took so more pics of the sports jacket by it self

i allways thought this was orignal but could be mash or japanse made

brought it from one of the top tiger collectos here in the uk.a few years back

its cut just like a 1960s suit jacket side vents,3button,narrow labels,

jack

post-6335-1253238954.jpg

Here is a message I received from the seller , I am far from an expert on Tigers , but I thought you guys might like to read what he said , interested in what you guys think . It looked like Thai Tiger to me .

I thought you might like to have these pictures, its to bad he wasn't wearing the set that you bought. I believe this is William Pope's uniform, he replaced Jim Hill as the last Ordnance advisor to the VNMC. Bill retired as a LTCOL, and last I heard is living in southern California. I hope this helps. Jon

IMG_021.jpg

IMG_030.jpg

Great Pic , sadly I did not buy the set , It was way too expensive for me , but it would be great to see a pic of him wearing that set in Vietnam , I have read online much controversy about the Thai pattern and if it was available in time or not , I simply don't know .

It is good that SO at last pointed out this photo ! BTW the rolex that is for sale by the same seller might be also his watch. You can see several that look alike on the photos you posted before.

A quick note on tigerstripe Names .

I know in this world everyone wants to have a name for everything and tigerstripes are NO exception .

Back in the days before the Master crook RJ wrote his book old time TS collectors had simple names for the lush black stripes .

we kept it simple and did not drag the Dukes name in the mud .

It went like this .....

1 Viet Marine , or Sea wave , of which there are several patterns .1959 -75

2 Japanese pattern , of which these are a copuple of patterns , check out post 238 .

this can purple .1962 -75

3 Silver pattern, this has a varient also known as purples .1964-75

4 Gold , several different fades .1969 -72ish

5 Thai pattern 1974-75

6 Custom patterns , but these are only a small sub-section .1962-75

Other than these simple guidlines it is a no brainer to id tigers .

any questions just ask .

Owen,

Thanks for clarifying the different types - It does simplify things.

By putting it down in one entry as you just did, it saves folks from having to read all the other 100+ on the other thread. But then again, they'd miss out on a lot of other cool info, not to mention the photos!

So you can now say your garment bag is Classic Japanese pattern .

Easy .

Read the whole part 1 thread it is dis-jointed but awsome non-the -less .

owen

Oh, I have read the part 1 thread.... Took me about 3 hours to get through it all over the coarse of a couple days.

Thought I'd post another matching set. These are marked US-XL, but were tailored down a bit. It's missing a few buttons here and there - but still cool.

Inside both are inked the name "Kell". Is there a decent database besides google that the average Joe can use without paying a premium fee to find out more info on the original owners?

101_3789a.jpg

101_3771a.jpg

101_3784a.jpg

101_3801a.jpg

101_3796a.jpg

Hand written note by Doc stating when and how he got the suit.He was a dentist and was in close proximity to the Camp and provided dental work.Note how he called the uniform a TIGER SUIT.

post-342-1253676662.jpg