Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

I worked at Muskrat off and on for years and worked all three of the locations. Ronnie was an important link for me when I was starting out collecting tiger stripe. I used to go to his house a lot where he lived with his Mom and brother. I remember the "you owe me" line and we would walk the parking lot at the GW and grab anything we could get our hands on. I had a bit of a falling out with him. It was a bummer to hear he passed when Tommy called me about it. I got some pretty cool stuff from him including a couple of float coats.

Spike, what years did you work there? If you were at the SM Blvd location, I may remember you....

Ok.... lets add another from the collection.

Typical small sized jacket, but it does have an "L" maked down on the inside flap below the buttons. Also, any idea what the patch is?

122_2278_zpsb2675af9.jpg

113_1338_zps402a4812.jpg

113_1336_zpsf6a5910b.jpg

122_2280_zpsbd81d23a.jpg

• 2 months later...

i got a question for anyone of you guys who can answe it.

Back around 2000 I worked for a guy, who is still a good friend and was a Vietnam war vet. was in the later years of the war and was a ranger and also in the 199th

anyways. he told me he wore TS while there and brought back the uniform but wore it hunting over the years and the shirt wore out and the pants became so worn, he cut them into shorts and gave them to his wife

I asked to see them since he knew I had interest in TS from the war he shows them to me and I have had not seen anything like it before and I cant recall seeing it again anywhere else

the stripes where small. very small and most of it had a color I can only describe as ornage. not gold. orange. the pattern looked to me like that splotch pattern but the stripes on it are tiny. orange, greyand brown seem to be what it faded into.

this picture of this toy and its TS camo is the closest thing I have seen to it since. it had that orangish look, but the stripes of the pattern are small. about like the thickness of my pinky finger

this was something he really brought back, this guy is a bit of a hoarder, he still has his original poncho liner, his original jungle boots, most of his 3rd pattern OD fatigue and just about anything they allowed him to bring back.

I apologize for using the picture of this toy, but its the only thing I can find to help illustrate.

anyone see it before or something like it? ring any bells?

319245768_487.jpg

after searching Thai and Philippine. I bleive this is either it, or very close to it

I wonder how he ended up with it for use in VN

20111205_117.JPG

vintageproductions

If that is the shirt then it is a civilian model from the late 1970's-early 80's, that was made for the hunting market

TrenchfootJoe66

To get in a rag mill and to actually buy stuff will give you the best advice I can:

1. Have lots of cash

2. Be ready to buy everything you can.

3. Have lots of cash

4. Try your hardest not to piss off the owner or floor manager.

5. Have lots of cash.

6. Don't play games. Don't try grinding the pricer. Don't point out the flaws of something. They may let you do that once, but as soon as you leave, they will talk among themselves and probably decide your not allowed back.

7. Have lots of cash

8. Don't go in the first time and think you will be buying all #1 items. That takes a lot of work, and lots of cash tipping to the sorters.

9. Have lots of cash

10. Don't cop any attitudes, they don't need you wasting their time to buy one or two small pieces. They would rather sell 1000's of pounds, so they are doing you a favor by letting you in.

Got similar advice from another member. Paid off in spades.. ;)

Oh, and Have lots of cash. Seriously. It takes awhile of tipping, tipping, tipping and more tipping. I was beginning to feel had and then one day it was BOOM, golden ever since. No Tigers yet but lots and lots of everything else.

If that is the shirt then it is a civilian model from the late 1970's-early 80's, that was made for the hunting market

its not the shirt'

he showed me a pair of pants he cut down to shorts'

the pattern on the shirt is close to what his shorts looked like but still not the same. his just had some orange tint to it from fading.

Hi everybody! I've been a long time visitor, mainly for browsing, but i decided to sign up and have a yarn with you all. I have to say, some of the Tigers in here are nothing short of amazing! I've been a huge admirer of the Tiger camo for many years, but could never afford it. I've recently purchased a few pairs of repro and real (hopefully) Tigers from all over the world. My collection is nothing special, but you have to start somewhere right? I'm 30 and just recently started earning some decent money to start pursuing this collecting venture. I also collect Vietnam era webbing, pouches, helmets etc. I also have an impressive collection of Replica rifles and pistols from the era. Hopefully i can start sharing my pics with you guys!

Cheers

Peter

Hi everybody! I've been a long time visitor, mainly for browsing, but i decided to sign up and have a yarn with you all. I have to say, some of the Tigers in here are nothing short of amazing! I've been a huge admirer of the Tiger camo for many years, but could never afford it. I've recently purchased a few pairs of repro and real (hopefully) Tigers from all over the world. My collection is nothing special, but you have to start somewhere right? I'm 30 and just recently started earning some decent money to start pursuing this collecting venture. I also collect Vietnam era webbing, pouches, helmets etc. I also have an impressive collection of Replica rifles and pistols from the era. Hopefully i can start sharing my pics with you guys!

Cheers

Peter

Welcome Peter, feel free to share your Tiger with us

• 1 month later...

Hello All. Today I scored a mint set of Tiger Strips. The shirt is marked US-L and the pants is marked US-M. The zipper is marked YKK. This set of tiger strips came from a footlocker of a former Green Beret (Vietnam Veteran). Would the YKK marking be a indicator if the set is authentic? Thank you for your assistance.

YKK and HAMA zippers are good but you will find these also on repros.

Sounds like a authentic set for me but some pictures would be much more helpful

Reference my posting earlier today, here are the pics of the Tiger Stripe uniform. This set came from the footlocker of a Major who served in Vietnam. I believe this set of Tiger Strips were never worn. They are in mint condition. I saw an earlier post of a set of Tiger strips that were sold for a lot of money. What price range would you all give this set? This officer served multiple tours in Vietnam with the 5th SFG, DET A-341. I am in the process of organizing all of the items. I will post the items I obtained from the estate at a later date. I will post under Groupings. The officer served his country with honor, but his story has a tragic ending. He was awarded the DSC, SS, DFC, SM, 4 BS one w/a "V" Devise, 3 PH, and at least 1 ARCOM with a "V" Devise. Thanks.

post-96084-0-15342600-1394398386.jpg