Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

USCapturephotos

Here is Major Rogers hat with the bring back VC/NVA canteen with bullet strike and a color slide of Major Rogers wearing the hat.

Thanks.

Paul

post-100030-0-16886900-1375190433.jpg

Hi Paul,

That was a great find. Nice 8 point cap !! Better yet with a slide to boot. Looking forward to seeing some of the slides. Also welcome aboard. You will like it here.

Regards, Mitch

USCapturephotos

Thanks very much Mitch. So happy I found this forum! Major Rogers was from very close to where I live and is buried nearby so I am going to go find his grave soon and leave an American flag.

Paul

GeneralCheese

Here is my Thai pattern jungle jacket hybrid shirt:

Fewr0yY.jpg

ek1womu.jpg

Here is how it was sewn on:

oWEokCC.jpg

You can see the original sleeve, covered by the tigerstripe one.

K0DoU9a.jpg

HuU0yp0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Thanks Owen! I found and visited Major Roger's grave with the help of my kids a week or so ago and we left an American flag.

Paul

• 1 month later...

It's been quite some time since I've posted.... so lets get this going again.

I bought this helmet at a place called the Supply Sergeant when it was located on the corner if 7th St. and Santa Monica, Blvd, in Santa Monica, back in 1980. It was part of a display they had set up and I bugged the guy for about two months before he finally sold it to me. I think I paid about $30.00 for it back then, which was serious dinero for a kid in high school.

The material is real and the stitching is all cotton - but I'd bet money it was a movie prop made back in the early - mid 1970's as there are no nicks or tears anywhere on the fabric - even around the base of the helmet where you'd expect it to take a beating. Either way, it's pretty cool looking and one of my favorites. Being that I bought it way back in the day, I can vouch for it being "pre-tiger collector", or if anything, pre 1980.

DCP02190_zps2c6d5079.jpg

DCP02192_zps8f5df78c.jpg

DCP02194_zps9974616a.jpg

DCP02196_zps6b4daca9.jpg

DCP02191_zps71147e0a.jpg

vintageproductions

Some killer stiff used to come out of the basement there.

There was always great foreign camo and lots of ARVN camo mixed in with the used jungle fatigues and bdu's. When they closed it, more great stuff came out. Then as they start moving stuff over to the Supply Sgt on Lincoln, they found even more great tiger items.

My favorite memory of that shop was the cardboard box behind the showcases that was full of patches removed from uniforms.....Every spare dollar I had, while I was in college, went into that box, Vietnamese made pieces, WWII theatre made patches, bullion, raw silk, etc....

I figured a few of you locals would remember that place! Once it moved over to Lincoln Blvd. though, the better stuff seemed to dry up. Remember the piles and piles of Viet Nam era uniforms in those bins? Jeez... overwhelming at times. Many tigers were found there! And lets not forget Tom Compos (and Ronnie) at Muskrat Clothing down on 2nd and Ocean... He had some wild, off the wall stuff too.

Here is another I thought I'd share. Note the gauze tag dated 1965. This thing is stone mint - one wash and that tag would be history.

113_1310_zpse6502830.jpg

113_1314_zpsaf2128cd.jpg

113_1311_zps2ca22e28.jpg

122_2295_zpsb5d5b4c0.jpg

That's a killer cover...ditto the shirt too! :o When I was at a big show back in August I came across an M1 helmet which had been directly painted with that very pattern. It looked absolutely great! Possibly/probably a "collectors'" helmet, but nevertheless worthy of shelf space. It was relatively expensive, so I "ummed" and "ahhed" whilst walking around the show looking at other stuff. Then...I decided to buy it. I headed back to the dealer's tent (an Italian) to find that he was packing up. I told him I wanted the helmet but, even though the cash was in my hand, he wasn't inclined to go through his boxes to find it for me! I still bemoan hedging my decision! :(

I knew you'd remember them Owen! Ronnie always had some weird, patched out stripe stuff. I traded a lot of stuff with him back in the day. I'm pretty sure I told you years ago - maybe when we met up at Fort MacArthur, but I traded him the stripe shirt Martin Sheen wore. Four pairs of pants and three jackets I think is what I got out of it. I kick myself now. That had to be about 1984... I wonder what ever happened to that shirt. Any ideas?

I know where the shirt is mate !!!!!!!!!

You still have all the nice stuff ?

Dont forget I am doing my cammo book and always looking to photograph different and interesting items ......

owen

I had to sell some it unfortunately - moving back from Australia cost a fortune so I needed to finance/pay some bills. I do have some decent stuff still.... I'll drop you a PM and let you know what I have and send some photos if you like. We can take it from there.... Sound good?

vintageproductions

Tiger Ronnie had great stuff, but he was also a fantastic maker of Tiger stripe headgear.

I remember back in the day at Great Western he would stand near the end of the tunnel and anyone who walked in with tiger stripe or A-2's, he would be on them.

I remember when he was the first person to get 1K for a SEAL float coat, we all thought he was out of his mind.

He was a great guy and a good friend. When I was 17 he was the first person to get me into some of the LA rag mills.

GeneralCheese

Wow, super cool stuff.

I've always wondered though, how do you get in to a rag mill? Do you just need to know where one is and ask the guy at the door, or is there more to it than that?

Wow, super cool stuff.

I've always wondered though, how do you get in to a rag mill? Do you just need to know where one is and ask the guy at the door, or is there more to it than that?

Good question, I would guess there is more to it.

Perhaps Bob can tell us if it's a lot like an Indiana Jones movie except without Nazis or Soviet soldiers chasing after you?

vintageproductions

To get in a rag mill and to actually buy stuff will give you the best advice I can:

1. Have lots of cash

2. Be ready to buy everything you can.

3. Have lots of cash

4. Try your hardest not to piss off the owner or floor manager.

5. Have lots of cash.

6. Don't play games. Don't try grinding the pricer. Don't point out the flaws of something. They may let you do that once, but as soon as you leave, they will talk among themselves and probably decide your not allowed back.

7. Have lots of cash

8. Don't go in the first time and think you will be buying all #1 items. That takes a lot of work, and lots of cash tipping to the sorters.

9. Have lots of cash

10. Don't cop any attitudes, they don't need you wasting their time to buy one or two small pieces. They would rather sell 1000's of pounds, so they are doing you a favor by letting you in.

I heard Ronnie had passed away? Is that true? He was a cool guy and always had some crazy ideas for a laugh. I'd go hang out at the Muskrat for a few hours on the weekends and he'd be working - One time, he super-glued a nicket to the sidewalk next to a parking meter. At that time, there were tons of drunk bums living down there... we sat and watching a few of them try to pry it up and couple of guys got into a fight over it. Fun times.

Here is a set I had to sell unfotunately.... still have photos of it though. Two mint items that had the most awesome colors.

112_1241_zps8c786735.jpg

112_1242_zps902c3d6b.jpg

112_1244_zpsb95ec4f0.jpg

112_1243_zps64c5e65d.jpg

112_1245_zps9eaef48e.jpg

112_1247_zpsd7fb9fed.jpg

112_1249_zpse14122f0.jpg

vintageproductions

Unfortunately Ronnie passed away about ten years ago, or so. I believe he had a blood clot pop or a seizure and they found him on the floor of his home in the high desert. Tommy would know for sure.

Whenever you did a deal with Ronnie, no matter how much you spent with him, he always ended the deal, "You owe me next time"....

Sorry to hear about him leaving us.... shows you how long I've been out of the loop.

And I've gotta admit - when you quoted him, I laughed. He did say that, didn't he!? Ha!

I worked at Muskrat off and on for years and worked all three of the locations. Ronnie was an important link for me when I was starting out collecting tiger stripe. I used to go to his house a lot where he lived with his Mom and brother. I remember the "you owe me" line and we would walk the parking lot at the GW and grab anything we could get our hands on. I had a bit of a falling out with him. It was a bummer to hear he passed when Tommy called me about it. I got some pretty cool stuff from him including a couple of float coats.