Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Well this suit went for a pretty steep price. I was outbid at $1100, it finally went for over $1500.

For those who didn't see it was a fantastic classic pattern/JWD custom first pattern jungle jacket and trousers. What was really interesting was the label on the trousers. Any of the big boys seen this before? Experimental uniform?

Label_zpsca31c44d.jpgsuit_zps0c326a0c.jpg

How sad when tiger is nust a couple of pathetic letters ......

Bob has a custom set with this label ........ah the joys of rookie tiger collectors and their limited knowledge of names ........and labels .

owen

@ Bob. Yes, I saw the poplin trousers on the site. Really interesting. Same lable defiintely point to Japan, I guess.

@ Owen. It was a reasonable question. The label is highly unsual on a TS garment. Understand that you dont like Johnson. But your patronising reply is simply rude

This cloth tag it’s a typical certification label from Natick Lab.

The tag warrants that the uniform item is made to the standard for both materials and workmanship specified by the US Army.

Those uniforms were made in very limited quantity and by selected tailor factories which was in this case most likely done in japan in the early 60tis. They are genuine US gov. trial samples made in accordance with the requirements of the US Army uniform research center….

BTW I was the high bidder in the final

Best regards,

Mike

The tag warrants that the uniform item is made to the standard for both materials and workmanship specified by the US Army.

Those uniforms were made in very limited quantity and by selected tailor factories which was in this case most likely done in japan in the early 60tis. They are genuine US gov. trial samples made in accordance with the requirements of the US Army uniform research center….

Best regards,

Mike

Now you mention it. I have seen similar labels on trial tan pre-runners to the jungle fatigues as used in Vietnam. If I remember right the tags were sewn outside the garments just bellow the waist band on the right buttock area. The tags were red on white and look around the size shown on these tigers.

Corpsmancollector

Best regards,

Mike

Mike, congrats on winning the set and thanks for the informative post. Not being a Vietnam collector, I thought it was an unusual label for TS garment. Thanks for the clarification.

Will

Thank you for the interest Will!

Yes Eric and similar tags are still in use today by factories which assembling clothing in accordance with the US gov.

It's indeed very unusual to find a tag like this in TS garments and it's rather the final proof that the US Army really did researches with tiger stripes in the early 60tis.

I just heard some rumors before and I once read an article about TS test uniforms... If I be able to rediscover this article I'll try to post it here as well.

The most other tiger stripes were produced under another DOD contract for a different request as well as standards and distribute by the Counterinsurgency Support Office (CISO) which as far as I know was not cooperated with the Natick army research lab.

For me as TS collector is this uniform a kind of "holy grail"

Regards,

Mike

Thank you all for the compliments, they are very appreciated. I consider myself very lucky to win this one. I think the reason the coat is in such good condition is because the seller also told me that along with the coat there was a OD boonie hat, Sgt. stripes and a VC ammo pouch in the bag with the coat. Probably all were put in the bag upon the soldiers return. They mentioned that they will not be listing the other items. No worries on that. The coat has a good home.

I got the golden tiger stripe pants from the same seller but no picture of the veteran wearing it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
vintageproductions

Thought this thread needed a fresh shot to bounce it back to the top. The new Vietnam camo corner in the shop.vncamo.jpg