Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

I remember a while back on the first Tigerstripe thread a member posted a pisc of an unusual vertical Tigerstripe trouser. Someone then posted a pic of a slant pocket jungle jacket style in the same tiger named to a USAF Capt. Unfortunately the discussion didn't pay much attention to it as the pic also had an amazing USAF John Wayne Tigerstripe flight suit that stole the show. One member thought that perhaps the pattern in question maybe Thai or Filipino and another thought ROK.

I'd have to agree with the assumption that it is South Korean made. The construction is like that of other ROK camouflage pieces that I have. Plus as mentioned in the original discussion the use of ROK HBT Frog Skin camo fabric for the button fly facing. The construction of the set that I have shown here are made without the use of many different specialized machines as you would see on military issue clothing

of the period. No bar tacking, Flat feld chain stitching or Keyhole button holes. Most likely this set was made in a small factory or by a local tailor. Also a point of interest being that the buttons on this garment and on the PRU tiger I previously posted are the same. Shaved edge, four hole discus shape but with a raised center back. The one one the left is the late war, one one the right the Vert in question. Were both of these made in Korea? Did the Koreans manufacture Tigerstripe uniforms during the war? Perhaps the buttons were made in Korea or Japan and it just so happens that they were purchased and used by both of these respective factories/makers were ever they may have been in Asia? Does anyone have any info on this unusual pattern? Does any one have any pics or ever recall seeing this pattern being worn? If so when and by who? Nam or post? I can't find any clear pics of ROK troops in tigers let alone this vert pattern. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Matt

post-104659-0-41906300-1351314625.jpg

post-104659-0-13930100-1351314651.jpg

post-104659-0-42631900-1351314667.jpg

post-104659-0-40300600-1351314721.jpg

post-104659-0-73572100-1351314747.jpg

post-104659-0-50842600-1351317089.jpg

Last post of the night. A nice Late War Tigerstripe on mid weight fabric size M named to what I assume is a Brown Water Navy Petty Officer by the name of Hoffman. The tapes and rate are in-country made. The rate has velvet hooks. Any interesting PO Hoffmans come up on the USN RVN Radar?

post-104659-0-65393400-1351317404.jpg

post-104659-0-16761400-1351317415.jpg

hochiminhtrail

TST is the vietnamese abreviation,, Tham Sat Thinh

This is my first post since joining this week. I recently got this PRU patched late war tiger on a heavy weight fabric named to a Dickson. I gather he was an Advisor or a CIA operative with the Provincial Reconnaissance Unit. I'm thinking an Advisor as it's a really small sized shirt for an American. I know late war they were actively recruiting shorter gents as not to stand out when with ARVN troops.

I was wondering what the TST stands for or if anyone knows anything about this Dickson fellow?

I haven't been able to find any info on TST attached to PRU or with any reference to the Vietnam War.

post-104659-0-18703600-1351306072.jpg post-104659-0-33371400-1351306122.jpg

post-104659-0-85655800-1351306197.jpg

Ok cool. But what does that translate to? Was this another branch of the PRU?

It doesn't translate to anything close to PRU in Vietnamese. Any further info on what TST was and what these guys did, would be appreciated.

Cheers.

hochiminhtrail

yes its the vietnamese abreviation for PRU,

cheers

HCMT

Hi Hochimintrail, I found a exert from a book stating that it does indeed stand for PRU.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Link to an interesting and informative account from a PRU Commander/Advisor '69-'70.

The Tay Ninh Provincial Reconnaissance Unit and Its Role in the Phoenix Program, 1969-70

Colonel Andrew R. Finlayson, USMC (Ret.)

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/index.html

I don't know why I doesn't take you directly to to page from the link but it's under heading......

Volume 51, number 2.

The Tay Ninh Provincial Reconnaissance Unit and Its Role in the Phoenix Program, 1969-70

Colonel Andrew R. Finlayson, USMC (Ret.)

Thanks Mike Force.

Hey have you ever encountere or seen that vertical Tiger pattern that I posted anywhere before?

I believe it's Korean made. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Klaxon

Hi Klaxon,

sorry for the late reply...

I'am not realy sure about the vertical one, but most likely thai or korean made?

check this one out here (post # 756 to #780)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/44639-tiger-stripes/page__st__740

That seems to be the same pattern like yours?

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I've seen that part of the thread you linked thanks and you're right it's the same pattern. I was hoping that someone had some more info on this particular Tiger pattern ie pics of it being worn or someone who has or has had this pattern in their collection but with some provenance. The PRU late war tiger shirt I posted has the same buttons but very different construction. The vert tiger pat. is crudely made while the late war is professionally manufactured. The USAF jacket on the link you posted looks like a Korean style with the flightjacket type pocket on the sleeve as well as the way it's made.

I just find it interesting when you get a piece that isn't typical and other collectors don't know much or anything about it.

It's definitely not the Pilipino Vertical Tiger. Completely different pattern. Had to have been used by someone somewhere? I hope someone can shed some light.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all, it's nice to be here : )

I would be very grateful to members if they might advise on the authenticity of two items currently on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

Despite the high price, they look good to me, but I just wanted to check and get some peace of mind.

I note the seller ended the sale early. That suggests someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse, outside of ebay. This is a tactic often used by "must have" collectors so someone out there must have considered this set to be legit and was prepared to pay a premium for it. (See the link below)

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/68314-tiger-stripes-part-two/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I know this set (or cut) is known as an early set and I also know what that not-so-popular-guy-who-wrote-that-book calls this pattern but I won't repeat it.

However, he claims that this cut of trousers should have a side take up tab that faces forward, which I have seen pics of. But my set has side take up tabs that face backward.

What do you guys think? A reputable guy looked briefly at them and said they were OK but after a fresh look because I may get rid of them, I noticed the side take up tabs.

Also, assuming these are good to go, were these made on Okinawa?

Thanks for any help.

post-15696-0-99193200-1358378490.jpg

Beautiful early Japanese made tiger set!

Some pants have the take up tabs faces forward but the most I have seen are made like yours.

Mike

vintageproductions

This is a great set, and nothing wrong with it. These button flap tabs are fine, and you see these on a lot of stripe.