Tiger Stripes Part II

Bob Hudson

Why not!? I like the idea doing a good reference to comparing fakes to originals.... it would be a very helpful tool for a all the other vietnam collectors as well!

The 2 threads here containing a big big lot of knowledge and can answer almost every question about tiger stripes who was ever asked that's for sure!

But it's also a problem that the 2 therads are so mixed up with tons of infos by now that it makes it not realy easy to get just a good, quick and securer reference between repro and orginal for everybody.

There are many good and well made repros out there today and they getting more and better....

Creating a web page or so about that is a good idea.

Mike

vintageproductions

Okay, then you should all get together and come up with, what should be shown, who made the patterns shown, when they were made, etc.

My one warning is make sure you are all 1000% positive that the patterns / uniforms are reproductions. I have seen a few here that people thought were fake, and then it was proven they were real.

I will happily pin the thread.

Here's my thoughts ..............

The tiger stripe thread is for REAL tigers only .

The other section has PLENTY of room for and is named for REPO's and fakes quite clearly ......so use that.

owen

River Patrol
Steve, I would agree with you to a point. But, like is said on every other subject, the buyer should do their research before throwing around large sums of money on items, they don't fully understand. The two pinned threads here, are the best reference someone could have. If a potentional buyer doesn't spend the time to look or read through them, then as sad as it is to say, the deserve what they get. That last set of gold tigers that went for high dollars, that Gimp pointed out might be bad, The buyer is / was a member of this forum and a couple of others, and claims to be a well informed collector.

Bob,

I agree. You MUST know the subject before you jump in the deep end. This has become a big problem for the field of "militaria collecting" since the internet surge -- everyone wants just the rare stuff.....the idea of building your knowledge base over time has changed. However, the examples that were presented by Gimp here were clearly displayed in a graphical manner that all readers could understand. These are the types of tools needed to teach collectors at all levels. Johnson's book is also an excellent tool that has essential become the benchmark for tigers. I hope there will be more books/articles/websites/threads/discussions on this subject in the future. Open communication is best for the community.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice day! :rolleyes:

Finally I could get this nice custom made set from a English friend for a reasonable price.... but I also couldn't resist any longer :love:

It's a very well made set which shows almost all features of a 2nd issue jungle uniform.

The shirt of this set was once also published in Johnsons book "Tiger Patterns" on page 118.

I'am very very happy this new acquisition!!!

Cheers,

Mike

post-4070-1345801626.jpg

this is the second uniform in classic/JWD tiger patten and jungle cut, which published here.

really nice matching set!

good photos!

would like to have it, too

Glad you like the set and the photos!

Another JWD jungle custom set here? I guess I have to look all over again!

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I know this has been discussed here before, but here are two tiger stripes sets I picked up from the Ft. Bragg area. Obviously, one set is desert tiger and the other set is the more traditional green/black tiger stripes. These are being worn by Special Forces personnel fighting in the GWOT. Both of these sets came from the same soldier.

055.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

This is a lightweight cotton TS shirt I picked up today, along with matching pants. No markings at all except the # 2 as can be seen below. It is a small size and came with a 1969 dated US flying suit that was also a small, short. Notr that pocket fabric is not in same direction as the rest. Any identification?post-70300-1348884264.jpg

vintageproductions

The marking is actually a S for size small.

The tailor was probably in a hurry while making this and just cut the pocket at the wrong angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to get some posts to this thread on october ;)

I like these alot but i think im going to sell/trades these because i dont have matching jacket.

Note modification to make waist more bigger using different tiger pattern

Front

post-5424-0-72327200-1350485863.jpg

These Tigerstripe threads are awesome. I finally completed the whole 2 threads. I remember seeing that issue of Gung Ho with the Tigerstipe article when it came out! That is great someone else had it and posted.....i didnt think anyone else would remember. If anyone has ...or can get an extra copy of the Armourer mag that had the tigerstripe article by Fisher and Locke let me know please.I would like like to get a copy of that issue, I must have missed that one.

Now for you guys who are around my age (early 40s) and grew up on rock/punk/and metal from the late 70s thru the 80s I am a little dissappointed the best you could do is to toss up some pics of The Clash. The album was Combat Rock it was a given that they wore all the camo and such! I was never a Who fan but I remember in the original Emminence Front video release Roger Daltrey was wearing some sort of customized Tigerstrp jacket in blue or dyed blue. But the ultimate Tigerstripe in rock video was Pat Benetars original video release for Promises in The Dark. I dont have any pics to post but you may be able to find it somewhere on line.Maybe YouTube.

This is my first post since joining this week. I recently got this PRU patched late war tiger on a heavy weight fabric named to a Dickson. I gather he was an Advisor or a CIA operative with the Provincial Reconnaissance Unit. I'm thinking an Advisor as it's a really small sized shirt for an American. I know late war they were actively recruiting shorter gents as not to stand out when with ARVN troops.

I was wondering what the TST stands for or if anyone knows anything about this Dickson fellow?

I haven't been able to find any info on TST attached to PRU or with any reference to the Vietnam War.

post-104659-0-18703600-1351306072.jpg post-104659-0-33371400-1351306122.jpg

post-104659-0-85655800-1351306197.jpg