PIR in the pacific ?

Screamingeagles101

• 2 weeks later...

My dad ws 506th in Europe.

They were gearing up while occupying the eagles nest area to go to the Pacific.

Ostensibly to float in and have at it on mainland Japan.

Fortunately, Hirohito threw in the towell before they got actual orders to load up.

• 1 month later...

For the invasion of Japan, the plan was for the XVIII Corps to control the 11th, 13th and 101st Divs, and a full set of non-divisional supporting units (Engs, AAA, FA, etc.).

This past Veteran's Day (11/11/2012), I had the pleasure of sitting across (the aisle) from an elderly gentleman wearing khakis with this on his sleeve:

503_rock.jpg

A bronze star (with "V") and PH among his ribbons positioned below his CIB. We spoke about his combat jump and getting wounded in the Philippines and though he was quite matter-of-fact, he never boasted about anything. I was wearing my ship's ball cap and after he asked me about my service, he humbly chided me for not wearing my decorations on that day (of all days).

Needless to say, I was humbled and listening to him talk about what he really is really proud of...that he still serves in the PI with his church missionaries. He used to routinely travel to the areas where he fought during the war only now he delivers supplies and cares for the local village's children.