Cigar Smoke Removal

skautdog

Help needed. I recently purchased some WWI (web equipment) and Indian War era (leather) items which have heavy cigar smoke residue. My concern is to not damage the items, but remove the smoke odor. I tried placing the items in a closed container with baking soda and then another time with charcoal --no success. I've tried airing the items outdoors in the shade--no success. In addition to gas, I know smoke contains particulates. I've read "gently washing" the items in a mild vinegar and water solution will remove the smoke odor. Washing a 140 year old piece of leather (military history) is not appealing to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I see you are from Greece, i do not know if they have it in Greece, but here in Belgium we have a product called Febreze.

Its a "spray you can spray on curtains and all other kind of fabrics and it removes smells like the smell from sigarettes and stuff like that.

If you can get it i can only advice that before you try in on a patch you try it on somethinge else or on a patch that has little or no value to see it does not affect the fabrics

An "old wive's tale" that I've tried with excellent results is to use a solution of bleach in plain water to remove smoke residue and odor. So long as the ratio of bleach to water is very low - in the range of about 1 teaspoon to 1 quart of water, then it has no ill effects on most sturdy artifacts.

You simply get the solution on a white cotton cloth (not sopping wet) and gently wipe it down, then wipe off any excess and let air dry.

When I purchased an ike jacket that reeked of cigarette smoke, I used fabric softener sheets. I put a bunch in the uniform and left in in my basement for about a week to to weeks. After that I didn't smell at all of cigarette smoke.

When I purchased an ike jacket that reeked of cigarette smoke, I used fabric softener sheets. I put a bunch in the uniform and left in in my basement for about a week to to weeks. After that I didn't smell at all of cigarette smoke.

I probably should have stated the obvious, now that textile/costume has been mentioned - no bleach on those, at any strength.

I collect items of this period, and to me smoke smell is part of the authenticity of the piece. I would not do a thing as any new chemical, like fabreeze could start to break down the leather. For ww1 web gear just hanging it outside in the sun will take much of the mustiness out of it. The less we do to an artifact the better especially when it comes to old leather. I have learned this the hard way.

Terry

Airing it outside in the shade will help and certainly won't do it any harm. Sun light will also break down the smell but has negative side effects such as discolouration. It just takes time to lose the smell. Be wise and don't try any short cuts. You will notice that in a year it will be much less!

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem with a P-4A Helmet that I just bought. HUGE tobacco smell is driving me crazy. I am using an air purifier under neath it with an Ionization component to it. After 24 hours no results. But, I am cleaning the outside, and any fiberglass portions of the helmet with vinegar. The dirty rags come up yellow( surprised?)...But the leather headband, sweatband, and leather ear coverings still reek with old smoke. Gosh it is awful!

I am "considering" replacing all the leather; or, rubbing all the leather with anhydrous Lanolin. Boy am I desperate...Plus, I am Asthmatic and on puffers, and my wife gets sick when air borne smoke is around...

But, my P-4A Helmet sure looks good on my shelf with my 1:48 Jets and WWII airplanes....But the stench is sickening...I could use some sound advice...A rookie at 60...