2nd MAW, Air Warning Squadron #8 battle of Okinawa question.

bellasilva

I have the dog tag of a Marine who was part of the 2nd MAW, Air Warning Squadron #8, who participated in the invasion of Okinawa in WWII. It has been extremely difficult to get any information on AWS#8 and their participation in the battle. There was a book written but is since out of print titled "From the rear rank: The story of Air Warning Squadron #8", but I can't find any for sale. Can anyone shed some light on AWS#8? The Marine who'se dog tag I have was "injured" in early May 1945 on the Ryukyu islands, receiving 1st and 2nd degree burns. His personell file lists 16 other members of AWS#8 who were "injured" in this "non-battle casualty report", however, he received the purple heart for this injury. I thought that in order to receive the purple heart, one had to be in direct contact with and be wounded by the enemy? I am thinking maybe it was a Japanese strafe run that set their equipment/area on fire. If this is at all helpful, his MOS was initially aviation radio operator, and right before the invasion, it was changed to radio operator, ground. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. If his name and service number are needed to aid in the research, i'll be glad to provide it.

• 9 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I am the son of Master Technical Sergeant Harold M. Meyers.  He was a member of MAWS-8 and was the maintenance chief for the 527 GCI radar.  He is mentioned many times in Ed Farmer's book, A VIEW FROM THE REAR RANK, A STORY OF MARINE AIR WARNING SQUADRON EIGHT IN WW II, of which I have a copy.  Mt/Sgt Meyers received the Bronze Star.  I would like to find material, photos, documents, or accounts about this squadron.  I have some things that others might be interested in.