And now for something completely different... ETO Diorama

Cobrahistorian

Cobrahistorian

Hey all,

Got a big modeling project underway, partially for work and parially for my own enjoyment. The premise is that the 486th AAA Bn (3rd Armored Division) is moving into a Belgian/German town while elements of a German Sturmartillerie unit are moving out. Dismounts from the 486th catch the last Sdkfz 165 "Hummel" as it's heading out of town and a well placed bazooka round to the driver's compartment sends it careening into a building...

The diorama pics up just as the gun crew bail out of the Hummel and a 486th M15A1 halftrack arrives on scene, covering the disabled SP gun with its 37mm cannon while dismounts take the crew prisoner. An M1919 team is moving to set up their gun to the left of the halftrack and the bazooka gunner and loader are at the lower right.

It'll look better with buildings and rubble, but here's the basic layout.

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

Closeup of the German crew surrendering. The track commander is wounded and still in the fighting compartment.

Cobrahistorian

You've got time to build an ambitious diorama whilst restoring a Jeep?! An object lesson in multi-tasking! :lol:

:D

Modeling is a nighttime activity for me. It's too cold in the garage at night to work on the jeep, so I'm restricted to weekends on that. Been getting plenty of modeling done though!

That's going to be an interesting diorama, keep us apprised of further updates; it's always neat to see before, during, & after progress reports.

RC

Cobrahistorian

For reference, here's my M15A1. I've been using the Commander Models M15 conversion for the Dragon M16 halftrack, but there are significant differences between the M15 and M15A1 in how the controls and seats are arranged. The conversion kit gets me about 75% there and the remainder will be scratchbuilt.

IMG_3066.jpg

IMG_3068.jpg

and the Hummel that I'm using for reference too. (There's US militaria in that shot! It's on a HET!)

Sill-20121017-00041.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Here's a quick update on the M15A1. The Dragon halftrack kits are simply awesome. While not exactly a "shake and bake" kit, it's pretty close. The conversion has made it a bit more challenging, but it's been worth it. I did realize, however, that there's no diamond plate definition on the floor of the gun tub. I think I'm going to have to get some photoetched diamond plate to lay down...

IMG_0302.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Since M15s and M16s operated as teams, it seems fitting that I include an M16 as well. I'd stopped work on my Tamiya M16, since the Dragon kit is so far superior, but with some minor upgrades, scratchbuilds and additions from the Dragon kit, the Tamiya spiffs up pretty nicely. I'll put up some photos in just a bit, but I've already added the correct radio set and I'm trying to figure out how to best do the tracks so they sit properly. Those vinyl rubber bands are the worst part of the kit and there's very little you can do to get them to sit properly.

Cobrahistorian

As promised here's some shots of the Tamiya M16 with added Dragon parts. Pretty happy with how easily they've meshed so far. The Dragon winch is absolutely outstanding. You can literally read the "Tulsa Winch Co. Tulsa, Okla" on its side!

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Styrene diamond plate will be too thick, and I haven't been able to find photoetch either, but Archer Fine Transfers actually does resin diamond plate on clear decal film and apparently it is incredible to work with. Goes on just like regular water-slide decals, but it has tiny little pieces of resin on it to give that relief look. I've got some on order now!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

I've got a few more figures enroute, including a StuG crew surrendering. They'll need some slight modification, but they'll work.

While this incident is somewhat fictionalized, the 486th AAA did capture several hundred prisoners during its time in the ETO. I've settled on showing this dio as Germany in February/March 1945 rather than Belgium in Sept 1944, due to the way some of the GI figures are dressed. With a few guys in overcoats, it makes more sense as late-winter 45.

Cobrahistorian

Wow! Just got the suspension and tracks on the track tonight. I've gotta say it literally just fell together and the halftrack sits perfectly flush on the table top. I'm totally sold on Dragon halftracks. Need to get several more!

I added the bed as well. Some minor issues with warping on the right side of the bed, but nothing that can't be adjusted.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobrahistorian

Been making steady progress on the dio, although a significant amount of that time has been focused on figure painting. It's been a while since I've worked on figures and I'm enjoying the challenge. I've also picked up a bit of a side project (of a side project of a side project...) but I'm working on an additional diorama that's a 35th scale representation of a new exhibit I will be installing in the ADA schoolhouse early next year.

So, that being said, I've now got seven surrendering Germans and fifteen GIs assembled and in various stages of paint. All but two have their base color coats and about fifteen of them have washes and highlight dry brushing done. Another five or so need to be drybrushed. I'm just starting to paint rifles now and will start doing slings, etc fairly quickly.

Here are the figures so far (yes, there's a British Commando in there. He came with the set):

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

Now my side project depicts a 57mm AT gun used by the 80th Airborne AAA Battalion at Trois Ponts on 21 December 1944. I am aware of the use of 6pdr guns by US airborne units and have not conclusively proven either way that they were using an M1 vs a 6pdr, but all of the documentation I've seen says 57mm M1, so I'm going with this. Anyhow, It depicts Lt. Jake Wertich (kneeling by the breech), Cpl. Stokes Taylor (with the BAR), and PFCs Harry Robison and Gordon Smital (not pictured yet) defending against the lead elements of Kampfgruppe Hansen. All four were KIA in the action and Lt. Wertich and Cpl Taylor were both awarded posthumous Distinguished Service Crosses as a result.

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

Cobrahistorian

Thanks! I just ordered a couple more figures (miniart US tank crew in action) and will be modifying them to better fit in with the rest of the dio. Gonna be a long haul to get this done, but I'm having a blast doing it!

Jon

Cobrahistorian

RC,

The kit is multimedia. Full resin for the structures and photoetched brass and brass rod for the details. It's a great little kit, among the best, if not THE best resin kit I've ever built. There are a few M1 57mm AT gun kits out there, but this is the best bang for your buck out there. Cost me $48 shipped to my door, which is less than half of the Resicast kit.

Jon

Cobrahistorian

Made some progress on the M15A1 turret tonight. Converting an M15 to an M15A1 is a far more significant undertaking that I originally envisioned. The gun cradle, .50 mounts, etc needed major reworking. Unfortunately my gun cradle was warped and had some serious air bubbles in it, but I managed to make some adjustments on it and it worked well. Some sheet aluminum from a soda can helped reposition the .50 cal mounts (below the 37mm instead of above) and worked great for the D-can mounts.

I've only got a single .50 cal from the Dragon T19 kit though... need to dig up another Dragon .50 cal to match this one.

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg