Unknown SSI on WW II officers 4 pocket tunic?

dlp797

I am humbley placing myself at the mercies of the membership of the forum and requesting assistance for ID of this SSI. I am unable to locate an identification for it. I acquired it from a young fella south of Marshal Illinois who was attempting to pawn it and claimed it was from his grandfather, Luthar Hickalson.

Dan

post-19484-0-75057300-1353978871.jpg

post-19484-0-70430000-1353978907.jpg

Many thx Guys! I am yet to do any research on it. I am very curious to find out were this gentleman has been. The kid did not want to talk about his grandfather and did not have the time or interest in his history hence his desire to PAWN IT! Luckily his full name was on the label!!! with 4 campaign stars I'm sure there is quite a history with the previous owner. I understand that the yellow American Defense Ribbon is for the period from 1939 - 1941 and the American Campaign Ribbon was probably for a year stateside prior to 4 campaigns on the EAME and he made it to post WW II to obtain the WW II Victory Ribbon, so he was likely to have been there before, during and after WW II!

Thx again Dan!

The 17th Cav Rcn Sqn, before the break-up of its parent 15th Cav Regt, was the 2nd Sqn of the 15th Regt. In Mar 44 the Regtl HQ became the HQ of the 15th Cav GROUP, with the 15th CRS (former 1st Sqn) and 17th CRS as subordinates. The Gp and the two Sqns were converted to Constabulary in May 46.

The 17th DUI is the shield of the coat arms of the 15th Cav Regt, with a yellow border added. This is called "differencing" in heraldry, to show descent from the senior org.

The 17th Sqn was inactivated in Germany in Jan 47. It is doubtful that the 17th wore this patch then, as the "Circle C Cowboy" Constabulary would have been in use. In Sep 48 the 17th was redes the 501st Rcn Bn and activated at Ft Sill; it only lasted as such until Jan 49. It is probable that this patch was worn then, as the 17th Sqn was never active again, as such. Thus the jacket, as patched, would be from 1948-49.

vintageproductions

This was forwarded to me to add to this post:

The 17th CRS was not redesignated a Constab unit when the Constab was formed.

It had some duties as District Constab prior to 1 May/1 Jul 46, but for some unknown reason, never made it to the big time.

Thanks

The 15th cav patch was worn in WW2. I have photos. I was never able to find one of the 17th, and no one I found could tell me positivley if they had it or not.

The yellow band around it stems from Cavalry "yellow" as a branch of service color.

They were a pretty nifty outfit.

I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting a previous post BY CAVCON New Jersey

[Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:12 PM

Here is a nice German made piece that was first issued/worn in April of 1946. This DI is for the 17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron (Mech), which at the time this DI was worn, were attached to the 15th Constabulary Regiment as a Distric Constabulary Unit. Since the 17th Cavalry Squadron did not become a Constabulary unit, but was a District Constabulary unit, they wanted their own DUI when they broke away from the 15th Constabulary Regiment in May of 1946. During WWII, the 15th Cavlary Group, including both the 15th and 17th Cavalry Squadrons wore the DI of the 15th Cavalry. The 15th Cavlary Group and Squadron wore the standard 15th Cavlary patch and the 17th Cavalry wore the more square looking one. This more square patch was also changed to the more pointed one below, around the time of the new 17th Cav. DI. This more pointed patch has been so misrepresented by so many people... It was never worn by the 15th Cavalry Group, Regiment or Squadron. It was only worn by the 17th Cav. Squadron from April 1946 to January 1947 when the unit deactivated. The same goes for the 17th Cav's DI. The DI was later redesignated in 1948 for the 501st Reconnaissance Bn at Ft. Sill, OK but was never worn. In fact the unit was a paper unit that was never activated. I hope this clears up some of the unknown about these units and if anyone has any photos of their 15th and 17th items, please feel free to post them. Posted by CAVCON]

post-19484-0-73959500-1354282502.jpg

post-19484-0-11942600-1354282558.jpg

post-19484-0-19270600-1354282576.jpg

Just for clarification on the above unit and patch. This patch on the jacket is that of the 17th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized. Versions, including painted on a leather jacket were worn from 1944 to around mid 1946 when the unit, which never became a constabulary unit, broke away from the 15th Cavalry Group, which had previously been redesignated the 15th Constabulary Regiment. It was also in mind 1946 that the shape of this patch changed and the above Di was actually designed and worn until January of 1947. None of these insignia have ever been worn by any unit again. The 17th CRS was redesignated the 501st Reconnaissance Bn in September 1948 to January of 1949. There is no evidence that this unit was ever active or wore any patch but if it did it was certainly not the above 3 insignia. Also note that during WWII and up until the insignia change the 17th CRS wore the 15th Cavalry DUI's.