Sign in to follow this  
rams2050

WW II bore cleaner -- round or rectangular?

So, what am I looking for -- a round or a rectangular container of bore cleaner for my M-1 Garand ammo belt? (I'll be sure to get one that doesn't leak, or at least TRY to).

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

You want the smaller cans that are on the right in post 104, page six. http://www.usmilitar...leaner__st__100

You only need one, they should be pretty cheap.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Rectangular cans were for oil/lube, elliptical for cleaner -- so that they could be told apart in the dark or when they were too beat-up or dirty to read the labels. The small ones were meant to fit into the Garand cart belt, but were NOT carried there real often. Usually, the soldiers kept their cleaning gear together, in their pack.

Make sure you empty the can and rinse it out before you put it in the belt. The cleaner is extremely corrosive and no mater how good the can looks today it will eventually eat through the can, you may come back in six months and find the belt and every thing near it a total loss.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Eliptical!

post-8022-0-17199500-1354029962.jpg

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

I found a can, at a pretty good price, and it has some cleaner left in it. So, I should toss the cleaner, right?

What about rust on the can? There isn't a lot, but there is some on the cap and top of the can. Is that a deal-breaker?

I found a can, at a pretty good price, and it has some cleaner left in it. So, I should toss the cleaner, right?

What about rust on the can? There isn't a lot, but there is some on the cap and top of the can. Is that a deal-breaker?

The rust will probably clean off with the aid of a little wire-wool? As for the contents, if the top isn't seized you have the option to dispose of it if you want? May I enquire as to the asking price?

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Asking price is $2.49; plus, of course, shipping, which is where he is probably making his money -- that is another $4.79.

Asking price is $2.49; plus, of course, shipping, which is where he is probably making his money -- that is another $4.79.

That's an offer you can't refuse!

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.