ACU West Point Football Uniforms?

patches

post-34986-0-66765200-1353907108_thumb.jpg

Maybe not the most appropriate of topics for this forum, but certainly an EYE CATCHER. Is this really the Point's new Football uniform? Also I noticed several years ago the habit of wearing TO&E unit shoulder sleeve insignia on the jerseys, then it was worn on the chest, any idea when this fashion started, are we to take it that the unit shoulder patch is the unit the cadet has picked to be assigned as his first duty station after graduation?

Ptaches,

The uniform is one of the ones worn by the black knights. Both the Air Force and Naval academies have similar uniforms that they also wear. The tradition of wearing SSI of TO&E units goes back many, many years. Again, the Naval Academy does a similar thing with ship and squadron patches being worn on football jerseys. You need to remember that 3/4 of the team is made up of underclassmen and that unit assignments don't normally come out until the spring- just prior to graduation, so none of the players wearing these patches know whether or not they are going to ever be assigned to the units whose insignia they wear.

I did know a guy who was on the football team at West Point many years ago. When I asked him how the patches were chosen, he said that the patches were chosen by the team leaders with a certain number of SSI being worn. The most popular patches back in the day were the biggest ones- 1st Cav, 2nd ID and then the Special Forces, Airborne Divisions, and other units with a lot of history. Colorful patches (before they were wearing subdued SSI were also popular. The pecking order descended until plebes were wearing patches like Cadet Command, Tank Automotive Command, He did tell me that one of the plebes got a special dispensation to wear a unit patch because his father commanded the unit, so I am sure that there was some special consideration was given.

Allan

A couple years ago, I was at a National Guard race and got to meet the general manager of the Panther race team. In talking to him, I suggested that since they are with the National Guard, why not make a race suit out of ACU Nomex. We discussed it and I got several phone calls in regards to it, the final phone call was to tell me to watch the race that weekend. I did and the guy was wearing a ACU camo racing suit, unfortunately early in the race, he was ran off the road and was photographed giving the European version of the finger to the guy that did it.

My one claim to fame.

They used to wear Woodland pattern uniforms, but the opposition teams complained that it gave them an unfair advantage because they couldn't easily be seen against the astro-turf. So, they changed to ACU instead...now everyone can see them! ;)

Thank's for your reply Allan, that explains the patches, just a representation of Army Divisions, if I,m reading you right. I was wondering though why a player like the one I posted the image would be wearing the Shoulder Sleeve Insignia of such a prestigious and STRAC unit as the Special Operations Command and by extension a Special Forces patch without really undergoing any training save Jump School or at the very least Air Assault School during a summer break.

They used to wear Woodland pattern uniforms, but the opposition teams complained that it gave them an unfair advantage because they couldn't easily be seen against the astro-turf. So, they changed to ACU instead...now everyone can see them! ;)

HMM, did they, the players, one year wear field face paint?

Patches,

The patches USED to be worn on the shoulder pads, but as I understand it, they were moved to the sleeves because 1) that's where they are normally worn and 2) they wouldn't get as dirty/ defaced from the hits they would take if worn up on the shoulder pads. The patches are worn as a sign of respect for the traditions and missions associated with the units and has nothing to do with whether or not a cadet is going to end up being assigned to that unit.

I don't really think that members of those units represented would have much negative to say about their SSI being worn by the cadets as it gives them some notice from the general public. I wouldn't say that it is any different than the Navy's use of names of Medal of Honor recipients being mascots for different OCS classes. Many of these classes actively use the image of the MOH on T'shirts which are worn at PT and at class functions. Forum member Dave might have a good shot of himself or his classmates wearing a similar shirt. I don't think the recipient or their family, or other MOH recipients would see this as wrong as those wearing the T-shirts aren't MOH recipients themselves.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another new West Point Fooball Uniform.

post-34986-0-26424400-1354773334_thumb.jpg

http://sports.yahoo....157--ncaaf.html

I saw those on-line today. Sounds pretty interesting. I wonder how much of the map graphics we'll actually be able to see while watching the game?. Hopefully, the tv gang will get some some good close ups!

thanks for posting that, patches!

Terry

I saw those on-line today. Sounds pretty interesting. I wonder how much of the map graphics we'll actually be able to see while watching the game?. Hopefully, the tv gang will get some some good close ups!

thanks for posting that, patches!

Terry

:lol:Good point, you wont, but I guees it's the gesture that counts, and that todays GIs, officer or not, still have a sense of the Army past to include something like this.

The Battle of the Bulge uniforms are simply awesome! I love them :)

And I think it's a great way to honor those that fought to defend my country

. Go Army! :)

I here tell that next season in a tribute to Georgie Patton class of 1909, the team will adopt his Green Hornet uniform, sans side arm of course.

Cool Right :D

GO ARMY

post-34986-0-82389800-1354858759.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another gem related to Army Football, this is a Fan at the recent Army-Navy game, I hope he was at least in the Army himself, I,m loving that WWI tin hat :lol:

post-34986-0-60990400-1359091700.jpg

For the overseas members, astroturf comes in colors now and Boise State in Idaho has a blue astroturf field and wears all blue. Other fields are red and I even heard there is a black field,

• 8 years later...

Lets revive this topic with this from last season, the 2020 season.

kio.jpg.e51bf05536a298cd7ca4c4e27592bc24.jpg

Posted: Dec 2, 2020 / 04:17 PM HST / Updated: Dec 2, 2020 / 04:31 PM HST

The Army Black Knights football team will honor the The 25th Infantry Division based at Schofield Barracks on Oahu during its 121st meeting with the Navy Midshipmen next Saturday.

The Black Knights will be wearing the division’s iconic taro leaf insignia as well as the logo for the division’s 27th Infantry Regiment (‘Wolfhounds’) during the game.

The honor will specifically focus on the service of the division and regiment during the Korean War as the Army marks the 70th anniversary of that conflict, which began in June 1950.

This year Army is honoring the Army Special Forces and 9-11 with it's Army-Navy uniforms.  The theme is "United We Stand",

Here's an article that includes the Army video about the uniform  https://saturdaytradition.com/big-ten-football/army-reveals-united-we-stand-alternate-uniform-for-navy-game/ 

SF DUI on helmet; De Oppresso Liber tape; SF collar brass.

Here is a picture of the final look.  

image.png.4fa760509f8a7b448fd6857b3aedb5a1.png

On 1/25/2013 at 12:29 AM, patches said:

Another gem related to Army Football, this is a Fan at the recent Army-Navy game, I hope he was at least in the Army himself, I,m loving that WWI tin hat :lol:

post-34986-0-60990400-1359091700.jpg.....less problem with a football fan than a 300 lb airborne reenactor!

lockquote widget

• 1 year later...