My M3 flak helmet

Renegade

Insides are a little rough, the chin strap is wrong and looks to me that it is a strap for attaching tools and gas cans to jeeps or other vehicles. Do you think I should remove or consider it was added as a field expediant fix?

post-104907-0-18801700-1353893923.jpg

if you can find the original looks like a button i have one at home you do have most of it there your missing the ear pads liner and strap

It's hard to get a complete M3 at a good price. Mine is complete minus the chinstrap. It seems they are either missing a chinstrap, an ear pad or the sweatband. This might have been a field repair. Is it bartacked? I would leave it since it is almost impossible to buy the chinstrap alone.

Essentially what you have there is a relic...finding/replacing the missing parts would be well-nigh impossible. Best save up your pennies and wait for a better one to come along!

post-8022-0-16444300-1353913245.jpg

post-8022-0-13015600-1353913252.jpg

Essentially what you have there is a relic...finding/replacing the missing parts would be well-nigh impossible. Best save up your pennies and wait for a better one to come along!

Have to agree with Ian on this one. Better for you to save up your money and get a good used example. They are out there you just have to be patient.

Larry

Did McCord/Schlueter produce those?

Good question...to which I don't know the answer! Obviously it was one of them. I suppose regular shells were just pulled off the production lines and modified accordingly. The interior fittings and flock coating mask any lot numbers or "S" marks. Also, the tell-tale front seam weld isn't present either. In fact, on my example the join is on the side (with no "dimples")

Info that I have (from Reynosa's book) is that McCord was the sole producers of these M-3's, 194,683 total. 1943-2,613, 1944-166,540, 1945-44,390. McCord also produced the M-5 model.