Added photos: Iowa Gold Star Museum

carthage light guard

Another display focused on Iowa war correspondents and those who wrote about the war.

This display was about a gentleman who was the Third Army press briefing officer... an apt use of talent for a former newspaper editor!

AA 275.jpg

The Silent Service... it's always amazed me how many sailors are recruited into the US Navy from the landlocked states of the Midwest... everyone I have ever asked has told me they joined because they "wanted to see something different."

Simulated submarine control room, complete with working periscope...

AA 350.jpg

AA 351.jpg

An unusual USMC recon bike...

and something more familiar to many of our Forum members... an M113 personnel carrier in desert garb.

Flying cover above is a Huey Cobra.

(There is also a nice vehicle park outside of the museum with a selection of tanks, trucks and artillery.)

The final display area will be built to resemble an Iraqi village...

AA 301.jpg

AA 302.jpg

AA 302a.jpg

AA 302b.jpg

Spoils of war...brought back by two enterprising Iowa soldiers... this painting of the former dictator has to be about 6 foot tall. One wonders how they got this home!

AA 305b.jpg

AA 305.jpg

To end our quick tour of the Iowa Gold Star Museum... a photo project documenting the surviving veterans of WWII.

The photos here do not even cover half of what is displayed in this fine facility. They are still building and revising their exhibits, and I hope to return to see more in coming years.

Comments welcome.

AA 502.jpg

AA 501.jpg

AA 500.jpg