Is this M1 Garand ammo belt authentic?

rams2050

Changed my mind; I have my heart set on one with the "U.S.' stamp in black ink. . . that one doesn't have it.

But I have found another that does have the stamp, so I'll bid on that one instead.

Hi, earlymb!

Yes, I tried to buy one of them -- unsuccessfully, I might add, as another member had beaten me to it.

I have yet another member out searching for me, as well, but so far nothing.

I have one on ebay that I am going to try to get, but as I was searching through the listings this morning I found another that, even to my untrained eye, looks fishy. (Way fishier than the one I posted here yesterday). I think that the stitching looks all wrong, AND the grommet hole in the connecting belt. Of course, I am probably wrong, but here is the photo anyway. Another red flag: it is offered as a 'buy it now' for $41.95, which seems sort of low for an ebay ammo belt, if it is truly authentic.

Here is the photo:

The belt in the picture is a reproduction sold by International Military Antiques, link here: http://www.ima-usa.c...ition-belt.html

I have not seen that belt in person, but I do have a Thompson drum pouch made from the same canvas with the same snap. The canvas seems thinner than original stuff and the snap is enamled rather than blackened like original hardware was.

I probably overpaid, but I was able to purchase the ammo belt with the 'Hinson' marking that I had listed previously in this thread. I no I didn't get a deal, but with the cost of the belt and shipping it was only $65. some of these belts have been going for $100. . . I am thrilled. Maybe I'll find another, someday, in a flea market or antique mall that I can 'flip' somehow and regain some of my cash. Until then, though -- now that I know what to look for thanks to all of you -- I'm happy with this one.

Thanks, again.

Inert? What is this 'inert' of which you speak? I am going for the 'hot' stuff. . . B)

Some guy here says there is a fellow in Utah who sells real WWII ammo for the Garand. I'd like to get some of that, if possible.

Nice photos, by the way. What is in that first aid pouch? And don't say "first aid supplies. . . "

I found pouches, but none that were complete with supplies. That would make a nice addition. Of course, just about everything I see I think would make a 'nice addition.' (sigh)

Inert? What is this 'inert' of which you speak? I am going for the 'hot' stuff. . . B)

Some guy here says there is a fellow in Utah who sells real WWII ammo for the Garand. I'd like to get some of that, if possible.

I'm British...such live ammo here is a no-no! The first-aid pouches carried Carlisle dressings...either in orange or OD tins, or waxed packets. These can still be found relatively easily. They will fit into any of the various first-aid pouches.

Hi Ian!

As an avid collector of Jeff. Q.M.D. 1942 "pointed flap" First Aid Pouches I must say that your one is a gem... Congratulations! By the way - sorry if I go lightly out of topic - I finally got the "standard" M1924 FA pouch, marked and dated Jeff.Q.M.D. 1942. Three different pouch models in the same year at the Jeffersonville Depot: the M1910, the pointed flap one and the standard M1924...Not too bad...

Fausto

Wow! Well, now I know what I'm looking for when it comes to first aid pouches, Carlisle bandages, AND bore cleaner. That will be my next 'search and seize' project, right after I find a mint M-1 Garand bayonet and scabbard. But I have spent my militaria allowance for this month (ALREADY), so I have to cool the collecting for a while. But I am gratified that so many of you have helped me identify great items to add to my wish list, plus provided me with things to look for when I'm picking out which ones to zero in on before purchasing. Thank you all, so much!

I bought this belt a few days ago -- posted the photo here -- and no one said that anything was wrong with it.

Now, however, I grow worried. . . is that one pouch on the right simply unsnapped? Or is it broken?

I haven't received it yet, but I'm hoping it's unsnapped.

Thanks!

Okay, I forgot to attach the photo. D'uh!

post-100672-0-33103400-1354139256_thumb.jpg

From the condition of the belt, I would say unsnapped. Great find, good price.

You can find a nice first aid pouch for about $20, I mean, you can go without food for a day or two, right? :P

The seller told me, finally, that one pouch was unsnapped.

Yes, I could go without food for a day BUT it is Christmas time and I have to buy presents for an awfully lot of people. Food I can do without, but celebrating the holiday, no. Anyway, the holidays will soon be gone and I can get back to finding -- and buying -- the things I still want, er. . need! (yeah, that's what I'll say. . . I NEED them!) (ha ha)