te Royal Netherlands Military Flying School @ Jackson, Mississippi

earlymb

Now a Dutch exile uniform which was tailored in Melbourne Australia. It again follows the US officers pattern and tailored for an officer in the Netherlands-Indies forces named Leesink and dated December 1942. The buttons and rank stars on collar (cotterpin style) are all made in Australia. It does not show any branch insignia on the shoulderstraps anymore but there is a faint outline of a Dutch national lion insignia on the epaulet, meaning unassigned duty. So most likely not a flying status uniform, but flight officers in the NEI Airforce would wear the exact same US style uniform.

I also have a US service uniform tailored in Australia and it is made in the exact same cloth which is slightly greener than the standard brown (chocolate) US service uniforms.

Hope this is a helpful reference!

2013-01-06_19-01-36_8431_zps168c95cc.jpg

2013-01-06_19-01-46_7341_zps2fdfb057.jpg

2013-01-06_19-02-27_3091_zps17b32514.jpg

2013-01-06_19-03-26_1611_zpsc06e54a7.jpg

Here some more interesting images. FIrst an image of Dutch airmen lined up, all wearing a variety of (exile) uniforms ranging from tropical to Naval and Dutch Colonial, standing at attention in front of a flightline of AT11 Kansan (Beechcraft) trainer bombers at Jackson Army Air Base. Also such planes in a WW2 picture and modern pictures of the sole surviving Dutch contract AT11 Kansan from Jackson, fully restored to airworthy condition and based in North Carolina. This aircraft was actually for sale in 2007 ($150K)

Z-0839_001_Dutch-airmen-800x635_zps88be8995.jpg

Bulletin-290-AT-11foto1-1024x680_zps6b22cb03.jpg

Bulletin-290-AT-11foto6-1024x680_zps72391bf8.jpg

IMG_0236_zpse1db797b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice additonal photos & information posted here!

I am well aware of the adapted US uniforms, but I have been told that -- in the US -- SOME of the NEI fliers had GREEN garments, either made up by tailors OR USMC/USN types, modified. I am seeking info only of the NEI people, in the US, NOT quasi-RAF people in Europe.

NEI-AF personnel that escaped the Japanese and then came to Jackson would still have worn their standard (NEI) uniform, if they still had it. This uniform was made of Garut, a comfortable lightweight fabric extremely suited for the tropical climate, and it was a very distinctive green color.

The Royal Netherlands Amy Museum has in its collection the uniform cap worn by Lt. Gen. L.H. Van Ooijen, the commandant of the RNMFS. It is a mixture of US and NEI design features and is made by a Boston tailor. It is made of a greenish cloth, not the standard color for US officers' caps, but probably as close as they could come to the original Garut color.

The only Ducth personnel I am aware of that wore USMC greens are the members of the Marbrig, the Mariniersbrigade (Marinesbrigade) that were trained & equipped by the USMC. So I think some of the NEI-fliers that had uniforms custom made ordered it as close as possible to the Garut color, which may explain the green?

Green material for uniforms would not have been scarce. New Orleans was a major Navy and Marine base, and included the Naval Air Station.

The Navy Air officers and CPOs would have often worn "Aviation Green" uniforms. It would not have been difficult for tailors who catered to the Nav Air trade to adapt their products for the Dutch.

Years ago, I was told that this was the case by a New Orleans native (USAAF pilot during the war; his sister and her friends dated NEI Dutchmen).

I also dimly recall seeing photos (IIRC in a collection of OWI -- Office or War Information -- prints) of a lightweight cotton bush jacket (US-made) in use, worn with a USN-pattern service cap with what looked to be a matching-color cotton "cover".

• 5 months later...
Guest fielddirector

I'm looking for details on the OD and camo combat uniforms worn by Dutch army and Marines in the NEI, 1945-49,as well as associated info on insignia, webbing, etc. Thx in advance,

I'm looking for details on the OD and camo combat uniforms worn by Dutch army and Marines in the NEI, 1945-49,as well as associated info on insignia, webbing, etc. Thx in advance,

I re-enact this period and can give you heaps of info, but if you could specify a bit I could probably help you better.

As for the Koninklijke Landmacht (KL, Royal Netherlands Army) or the Koninklijk Nederlands-Indish Leger (KNIL, the colonial Army), everything they could lay their hands on and was suited for the climate was issued regardless of the source. Most were WW2 Commonwealth desert & tropical clothing, but also M1942 Jungle Suits (in large numbers) and even some leftover German Afrikakorps uniform items.

Equipment was mainly British P37, but also heaps of US material. This seems to have varied per unit.

The Mariniersbrigade (Marbrig) was formed in 1943 as part of the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps (Korps Mariniers, RNMC) and fully trained and equipped by the USMC. All of their uniforms, equipment, weapons and vehicles were US supplied (mainly through the USMC).

If you have questions on US-related material please post it here and I'll reply here (with pics if I can), but to keep in line with the forum rules please PM me if you have questions on other material.

• 1 month later...

I came across this scan of an amazing portrait in the bowles of my hard drive. This yet unidentified pilot is wearing what I believe to a standard US officers' coat, with Dutch buttons, the yellow & silver orbs indicating a Warrant Officer, NEI-AF Pilot-Observer wings, NEI-AF shoulder emblems and the 'Netherlands East-Indies' shouldertitle. The ribbons are (L to R) the Flying Cross, the Bronze Cross and the 1940-1945 War Cross. Since the latter one was introduced in 1944 this photo was most likely taken after the RNMFS closed on February 15, 1944.

The War Cross is a common medal, but the other two are rare and indicate this man has seen a lot of action and was rewarded for his bravery. In my collection I have a Flying Cross, complete with the certificate & ribbon that was posthumely awarded in 1949 to an NEI-AF pilot that was killed in a crash on September 7, 1944. I also have his War Cross with certificate; also awarded posthumely in 1949. The Flying Cross has also been awarded to a number of USA(A)F and RAF pilots among others.

On a final note, I think the metal shoulder insignia may be Australian made, possibly by Stokes, with the curved propellors. Amico made these insignia as well but with straight props.

post-5589-0-33715900-1403804756.jpg

Some details of the main portrait:

post-5589-0-62567700-1403804773.jpg

post-5589-0-43987600-1403804790.jpg

Johnny Signor

Some years ago I remember seeing a photo I think in a magazine article of one of the emblems they used on the sides of their B-25's , it was of a Disney design of one of Donald Duck's nephews "huey" etc wearing helmet/goggles popping up out of an cracked egg and if memory serves me there was a number on or below the egg , possible aircraft call number or squadron number , I wish I had the photo , I also unknowingly had a cloth/felt type patch of the same emblem , I had it mixed up with the NAS Jacksonville Fl emblem and sold it thinking it was that one, Duhhhhhhh................................................. Talk about a "RARE" patch I'm sure that one was !!!!!!!!!!!!!

manayunkman

As a Dutchman I can't help but appreciate this thread.

Don't forget that Dahl was also a British spy who parlayed his way into the White House.

• 1 month later...

I am a son of Jacob PHILIPS who passed away 20 SEP 2012 (aged 92), and who reportedly served with the Dutch Armed Forces during WW2.

The family are only now trying to piece together, from fragments of sometimes inconsistent and scarce information, details of his war service.

Most of our documentary and photographic information has been lost due to his estrangement from his first wife and children, but we can confirm the following:

1. A photograph of him in a uniform with the Dutch Air Force shoulder brevet depicting a radial engine on a propeller.(below)

2. A copy of the WW2 aviation medical training publication "Your Body in Flight" with his hand written "Ensign Jacob Philips Jackson Airbase Mississippi USA" note on the first page. (below)

He told of having escaped his occupied native Holland in 1942 by bicycle across France to Spain, training in the USA in 1943, serving in England on Hurricanes, Spitfires and P51Bs, and Far East service on B-25s, P-40s and P51Ds at Merauke, Biak, and Morotai.

Interestingly, he was unable to demonstrate having retained any flying skills when I took him flying in a light aircraft in 1972, after I had just graduated as a pilot myself in the RAAF.

Any assistance leading to information regarding his enlistment, training and subsequent service would therefore be much appreciated.

post-133509-0-49498600-1380440008.jpg

post-133509-0-71872200-1380440053.jpg

I'll see if I can dig something up. As a direct relative you might also check with the National Archive in The Hague, The Netherlands. They keep all the military records ('stamboeken').

I believe this aircraft is a Beechcraft AT-11. Still a great picture though.

Yes that is an AT-11 , anyone notice the AAF P-39's in the background .....................

• 1 year later...
gosewinus18sqn

Dear Friends,

I am Gosewinus F. van Oorschot in the Netherlands.

I am a Reacher for the 18 Squadron, sinds 12 years now.

My age is 77 years young.

I want to come in contact with the Dutch members, when possible.

Email: [email protected]

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately a lot of the photo's originally posted in this topic have been lost, so I will post some other ones. Most of these are small format, unfortunately.

I'll start with this one. On Sunday July 2, 1949 the 35th birthday of the ML-KNIL (Military Aviation, Royal Netherlands - East Indies Army) was celebrated with an airshow at Andir airfield near Bandung on Java. What you see here is an 18 Squadron B-25 gliding by with props set to neutral pitch at a height of approx. 100 feet/30 meters. That must have been one hell of a sight...

It is flown by the legendary captain Guus 'Wild Bill' Winckel. After the war Winckel moved to New Sealand and Australia and would serve in the NZ Airforce. He died in 2012, aged 100 years. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gus_Winckel)

post-80-0-02507200-1433182970.jpg

This one is very interesting for the uniform worn. This man wears a US M1941 fieldjacket, with the emblem of the PVA (Photo Verkennings Afdeling, 'Photo Reconaissance Unit') as chest patch. On his shoulders are the 'Netherlands-Indies' emblems also worn a few posts before. On his epaulettes are the rankinsignia of a KNIl sergeant. (source: http://www.hetdepot.com/itemOKTOBER.html)

post-80-0-45380300-1433183091.jpg

Some various photo's of ML-KNIL crews in front of their B-25's. Most are from the 18th Squadron.

post-80-0-42799000-1433183727.jpg

post-80-0-94370800-1433183740.jpg

post-80-0-33435300-1433183762.jpg

post-80-0-48596900-1433183777.jpg

post-80-0-63489700-1433183816.jpg

post-80-0-49404400-1433183831.jpg

post-80-0-11172400-1433183862.jpg

Enjoy! :)

• 8 years later...

My Uncle Jean Jacques Hartman Kok also trained at Jackson after arriving onboard the Mariposa.
Then returned to serve with NEI 18Sqn.
He flew an AT11 serial 42-3069 The last one of twenty five at Jackson is still flying and displaying today.
He had as the accident report from Tyndall Airfield states, was whilst taxying.
It is flown by Mike and Preston Allen Mongomery County Aiport see Facebook for videos.
I am at the moment adding his story to my site
https://dutchindonesianmemoirs.com/  
However if your interested in Dutch flyers including those at Jackson. I can highly recommend this site for all WW2 aviation.
https://aircrewremembered.com/

IMG_7092 (1).jpg

at11.jpg

Thanks for your input and what a great story! Great photo's, it seems a US officers' cap with the NEI-AF cap insignia added. I'll check out those weblinks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2012 at 10:17 PM, Sjef said:

The last picture shows a Dutch soldier from native Indonesian descend, who somehow found his way to unoccupied territory and ended up in Europe.

He would have been a Dutch Indonesian. Father Dutch and mother Indonesian. Like my father many Dutch Indos' escaped by freighter in March 1942 from Surabaya Naval Base to Ceylon. They were cadets some as young as 14 in the MLD (Marine Luchtvaart Dienst) Netherlands Naval Aiviation Service. From Ceylon 700 traveled to Durban South Africa at which point some transferred to Curacao and the remainder onward to Liverpool. Here they were sorted and sent to various destinations. My father aged 18 was assigned to Bircham Newton Netherlands 320Sqn along with other Dutch Indos at the time using Hudsons for Coastal Command, then B-25s which is when these photos were taken. 

The last picture shows a Dutch soldier from native Indonesian descend, who somehow found his way to unoccupied territory and ended up in Europe.

He would have been a Dutch Indonesian. Father Dutch and mother Indonesian. Like my father many Dutch Indos' escaped by freighter in March 1942 from Surabaya Naval Base to Ceylon. They were cadets some as young as 14 in the MLD (Marine Luchtvaart Dienst) Netherlands Naval Aiviation Service. From Ceylon 700 traveled to Durban South Africa at which point some transferred to Curacao and the remainder onward to Liverpool. Here they were sorted and sent to various destinations. My father aged 18 was assigned to Bircham Newton Netherlands 320Sqn along with other Dutch Indos at the time using Hudsons for Coastal Command, then B-25s which is when these photos were taken.