HELP! Need reseach help on a named Cattaraugus knife

USdog

Hi everyone,

I just got this one in the mail and im very pleased with it... When I got it in the mail I was so happy when I saw it was named with a serial number. The sheath is insribed: US ARMY, J J FLOREK, ASN 36333344 ( I think ), US ARMY, AFRICA, 1943, JF

Knife insribed: Africa, 1943

If anyone could find anthing out on the owner of the knife that would be great. Any opinions are apprechiated. Thanks!!

post-93633-0-67660900-1353721875.jpg

JS, thank you so much for finding his records! I can't thank you enough for doing this for me... Do you know if there is a way to figure out more about his service?

With all of the information you now have, you can write to the NARA in St.Louis yourself, or you can contact a researcher in the KC area for assistance. The researcher is faster, THE NARA IS SOMEWHAT CHEAPER ,OR IN SOME CASES FREE.

The difference in turnaround time is two weeks vs. two months!!

Ok. I checked NARA on finding military records and it said you have to be a relative in order to request them. Is that correct? How can I contact a researcher in the KC area? Thanks again

Joe,

The records are available through the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA). You can contact several researchers who are members of the forum, any of then can help. Check in the "Research Sub-Forum" for contact info.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

Just wanted to let you guys know that a few weeks ago I contacted the daughter of the veteran ( John Florek ). The knife is now back where it belongs (in the family) and she told me all about what he did in the war, where he was, his unit, how he was wounded and more. She also showed me photos of him. All in all it was a great experience...