5th Bomb Group B-24 Liberator

GITom1944

I think my uncle is the fella on the rim of the bomb crater wearing a pith helmet. It looks like there is a strap dangling from his right hand - maybe a hand held personal camera? This might be on Morotai following a Japanese air raid.

post-2064-0-43097000-1355028420.jpg

A few B-24's on the flight line. Perhaps Wakde? This may be in the summer of 1944 during the transition from OD aircraft to NMF. Only one plane sports the blue shield on the tail.

post-2064-0-81873000-1355028735_thumb.jpg

This is later, perhaps Morotai. The Liberators all seem to have the blue shields on the tails. There's an OD C-47 in the background.

post-2064-0-30993900-1355029039_thumb.jpg

Squirrely Shirley was a long serving 31st Squadron B-24 with a record of never having turned back from a mission. During the 5th Group's third mission to attack the Balikpapan oil facilities in October 1944, its hydraulic system was damaged. The crew deployed parachutes from the waist windows to slow it down as it landed on Morortai. Note the 31st Squadron emblem on the nose.

post-2064-0-94541000-1355029858_thumb.jpg

Looks like he is sitting in a late 1942 Ford GPW.

Nice photos, Thanks for posting them; are you going to make more models based on the photos?

Sgt. Paul J. Hogan, 5th Bombardment Group (H). This pic was used in the Group history book that was published after the war. One of Uncle Paul's 13th Air Force patches and his photographer insignia.

post-2064-0-44749800-1355031436_thumb.jpg

Nice photos, Thanks for posting them; are you going to make more models based on the photos?

I don't have anything in the works at the moment but I had built a 1/48th Australian Spitfire based on Morotai that was "inspired by" a couple of a couple of Spitfire photos in the collection. I may do a 1/6th scale fig. I'm fiddling with scrathbuilding a 1/6th pith helmet. We'll see if it turns out...

Very nicely done. My father was a Liberator pilot inthe CBI as well.I am waiting info ftom the ASPRC in St Louis to pin down the actual unit, as I recall as his unit was the flying Cobras, I am anxious to build a tribute model in his BG colors when I get it nailed down. Great detail, love the photos, thanks for sharing

Gary

• 1 month later...
Johnny Signor

Very nicely done. My father was a Liberator pilot inthe CBI as well.I am waiting info ftom the ASPRC in St Louis to pin down the actual unit, as I recall as his unit was the flying Cobras, I am anxious to build a tribute model in his BG colors when I get it nailed down. Great detail, love the photos, thanks for sharing

Gary

Hey gary , the Flying Cobra's were the 9th Bombardment squadron of the 7th Bombardment Group/10th AAF

Johnny

If you ever want any leather patches of them look me up , I make them.

Can you show us how you build those tractor and fuel tanks?

It's a bit complicated to explain & I have no in process photos. If memory serves, the tractor was modified from a 1/48th scale "modern" (70's era) Air Force tractor with a covered cab. I can't remember the manufacturer (Esci?). The seat came from the gunner's station of a 1/48th Monogram A-26 Invader. Some parts were scratch built from various styrene sheet or rod stock (like the front axle). I added some solder wire for hoses. The fuel tanks started with a frame made from Plastruct styrene square tubing (fig 1). I found an HO scale semi-truck with fuel tank trailer that I used as the basis for the 4 tanks. I removed the tank & cut it into 4 sections (fig 2). It wasn't long enough on its own so I extended each by wrapping the sections in thin styrene sheet. I "capped" the ends as shown (fig 3). I sanded & puttied the ends to get the curved shape. I drilled a hole in the top of each tank & inserted a short length of styrene tube for the fill hatch. The cap is a small metal washer with various detail bits added for the hinges, etc. The wheels came from a 1/72nd Airfix Scammel tank transporter. The Scammel kit provided a few other odd details as well. The curved wheel fenders were a challenge & my memory is fuzzy on this. They are thin styrene sheet pieces that I think I wrapped around a metal tube of the right diameter & held in place with rubber bands. I dipped the metal tube in boing water to heat form the curved shape. I cut them to length on the tube (actually the "width" of the fender). The pieces were cut to size. If memory serves, the inside curve where the fender joins the tank was the hardest part. I think I glued them to the frame, then carefully cut & sanded the shape through trial and error. (I may have done 1 like this, removed it & used it as a template for the other - not sure). Curves can be sanded by putting a pieces of fine grit wet dry sand paper around a dowel or tube. I added the tanks. Brackets were made from lead foil. Hose is coated doorbell wire. Various metal eyebolts & other odds and ends were added as needed. The fire extinguishers were lengths of tube filled with super glue sanded to shape with details added,. They are not as glossy in person as they appear in the pics. The serial number decals were a lucky find but I can't remember the source. They may have been for a 1/48th scale jeep.

post-2064-0-86166400-1359133306.png

post-2064-0-05459300-1359133325.png

post-2064-0-33997300-1359133339_thumb.png

• 5 years later...
hifastflyer

Whow what a shock. I stumbled onto this site and found a model of the B-24 aircraft "Snowjob". This was the aircraft my Dad flew. I may have the answer as to why the starboard vertical stabilizer is olive drab. I'd love to contact the builder of this model.

I may have the answer as to why the starboard vertical stabilizer is olive drab. I'd love to contact the builder of this model.

That would be me. I'd love to find out more. I'll pm you.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...