WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SONG FROM A WAR MOVIE OR SHOW?

BEAST

Ok, We have really good threads on favorite war movies and favorite lines from war movies, so let's look at the music. What is your favorite song, either sung during the show or even the theme song?

For me, it is the scene in Zulu, when, faced with a brutal attack by the Zulu warriors, the Welsh Regiment defiantly sing "Men of Harlech".

So, what's yours?

More or less the whole soundtrack to 'Full metal jacket' especially 'surfin bird'!!:) and 'Platoon'...i also really like the scene in ' a bridge too far' where all the wounded paratroopers start singing 'abide with me'.The link is not the scene but still good:

history-buff1944

All John Ford's movies US cavalry songs.

Ah yes--Yellow Stripes, for one and in a non Ford Cav western--would have to be: Garry Owen. Another Ford used great I do like was in: The Horse Soldiers and is called: I Left My Love.

history-buff1944

Kelley's Heroes theme song. Bobgee

The name your thinking of for the thematic music is: Burning bridges and is by the Mike Curb Congregation.

history-buff1944

Some not mentioned but are great themes are:

For, The Alamo: The Green leaves of Summer.

For, The Bridge Over the River Kwai: Colonel Bogey March.

For, They Died With Their Boots On: A combination fo Garry Owen and Dixie.

Too many others to list--but I also love the theme music for: Patton, Where Eagles Dare, Das Boot, and many others.

Ah yes--Yellow Stripes, for one and in a non Ford Cav western--would have to be: Garry Owen. Another Ford used great I do like was in: The Horse Soldiers and is called: I Left My Love.

"I Left My Love" is a great song but it is not a traditional cavalry anthem, it was written for the movie. Still a beautiful song and one of my favorite even if my heart has always been for Johnny Reb.

I woke up from a dream this morning, having been replaying these soundtracks in my mind:

The theme from Last of the Mohicans:

from Empire of the Sun:

And this from “The Mission” with Robert Dinero & Jeremy Irons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG9l2Ik67Gw

But one of the best overall original scores ever was done for Lawrence of Arabia.

My vote: Theme music from the 1989 film 'Glory' starring Matthew Broderick, Denzel Washington and Morgan Freeman. Composed by James Horner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwYig2CP66Q&feature=related

Great movie too and I'm not even an ACW buff ... (or even American for that matter) ...

in contrast to ...

The theme song from 'Over There' ... I'm sorry guys but the cheesy song pretty much put me off the whole series. As it was composed and sung by one of the show's creators I couldn't get over the nepotism of it all. Pity as it wasn't a bad show ... just that damn song ....