Who did the Germans fear most ?

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

In world war two, The Germans faced more than one country. Which allie did they think was the hardest to fight ? The British ? The Russians ? The Americans ? .........

Screamingeagles101

The Russian front was the worst because of the weather conditions.

Yes, but what enemy made them think there was a good chance they would not make it ? Who did they fear the most ?

I would go with the Russians.Many published accounts show the Germans and Russians had very little if any compassion for each other.The scorched earth policy employed early in the war set the tone for the war.When the Russians reached German soil it was pay back time and total war came ful circle.

SergeantMajorGray

I heard German POWs didn't make it back home till the early fifties and those are the ones who did make it. That's pretty cruel if you ask me.

I heard German POWs didn't make it back home till the early fifties and those are the ones who did make it. That's pretty cruel if you ask me.

I recall seeing a World at War series when I was a kid and they stated less than 10,000 returned after being captured in Russia(if I recall correctly)

Here is some other figures I came across

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_prisoners_of_war_in_the_Soviet_Union

The fighting on the Russian front truly was savage and the weather/living conditions only amplified this. I think the fact that the Germans preferred to surrender to the Americans rather than the Russians towards the end of the war says a lot. The Germans, Americans and British followed the rules of the Geneva Convention for the most part, at least with each other. The Germans and the Russians on the other hand...no.