return to Tarawa

namvet

• 4 weeks later...

I have not seen the show, so if this was answered there, please bear with me. Where does all this garbage come from? I can't imagine there is much of a human population there.

SergeantMajorGray

I can't remember that well but there are people there and they just have a extremely poor waste management and they only care about recyclables because there worth money. Don't quote me on that cause I'm not to sure.

DoubleEnvelopment

I can't remember either but last time I checked this great documentary was available for streaming via Netflix. I do remember them talking about how lots of ordinance, some of it unexploded, lay all over the Betio Island.

• 3 weeks later...

Our Gov't will send aid to places that hate us! Why can't something be done to honor those who were here and try to clean up the mess? I am sure there are still remains left in the ground both American and Japanese.

just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read " One Square Mile of Hell. I have also read "Tarawa" when I was 10 years old [43 years ago]. I have always been fascinated with this battle and the sacrifices made by our Marines. It seeems these Pacific battles have been forgotten because they are are unpopular, uneuropean and unvisited. They are hard to get to,merely footnotes in unread history books and devoid of the American-German-English compelling stories of bravery and heroism. The Japanese were merely an inconvenience to be disposed of. The soldiers of the Pacific are always given short thrift in the narrative of WW2. I have met several Pacific veterans and sons of Pacific war veterans....they just don't want to talk about it. What does that tell you about these battles they fought in.

• 2 years later...