zippo Pat #s

tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90

So I came across these two different zippos. The first pat# just seems odd to me, or am I just looking at it too hard? Are both pats/pics genuine zips?

post-13708-0-75198500-1353615637_thumb.jpg

post-13708-0-52626800-1353615660_thumb.jpg

They are good numbers. It's hard to tell much about them without the whole picture. Maybe post pictures of the inserts & insert markings, as well as pictures of the hinges & finishes. They used this number from 1937 to 1950. I have more zippos than I can count...I cant resist when I see an old one for cheap! I have sent quite a few back to zippo for rebuilding & they always come back perfect. Its free, but I wouldn't send any of my WW2 era zippos in...I like them the way they are!!

tdogchristy90

Well I know both are crackle ww2 zips, even for a notice like me I'm certain of that. It was mainly the 9 in the first pic that had me question. It just doesn't loop around like most.

tdogchristy90

Another question...

In my research I find that the pat# for 1930-1950 is 2032695. That for 42-46 (war) it was supposed to be 203695 and that the 2 was an error. Does this mean that all war zips will have the false patton number or did the later correct it? Do people pass the 2032695 as a war zip when a true war zip is 203695, or was it just a batch and was corrected with later 42-46 zips?

Yeah, the error was corrected pretty quickly. But because there was a war on, they kept cranking them out until they fixed it, even after they knew it was happening. All Zippos made during WW2 were made for the Military. None of them were to be sold to the public. They were made of steel, because brass was needed for the war, so they painted them black.

Do the hinges have 3 barrels or 4? Also, How many holes are in the windscreen of the insert? Are the inserts marked with the same numbers? They are worth a fair price either way, but those details make the difference between $50 and $150+, depending on condition. Also, are the bottoms flat or rounded? Flat bottoms will stand up, while the rounded bottoms will not. I would love to see some pictures. (i have always loved these things, even more so after i learned more about them!) You can email me pictures if you want & I'll give you my honest opinion. And if you need any parts to repair them, I have more than I can use....