Should I clean this?

Mitter2k1

Ok, recently I picked up a WWI ammo belt. I posted pictures of it, the holster and the FA pouch. Now I have a concern. The FA pouch has some oil or something on it and the belt is kind of dirty. Is there a good way to properly clean this? I'm concerned with whatever is on it causing issues later on. I've cleaned almost every bit of verdigris off of the hardware on the setup. I have also lightly brushed some dirt off with a soft brush. So what is the best method to go about doing this? And after I'm finished, should I put something in the pockets and holster to help keep their shape? Any help is appreciated and if pictures are needed, here is the original post. Thanks

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/160357-gunshow-find/#entry1213819

Webbing is quite a robust material. I've cleaned dirty field-gear by immersing it in warm, soapy water and gently scrubbing the soiled parts with a nailbrush, rinsing it in clean water to remove the detergent and drying it outside in the air. It suffered no ill-effects whatsoever. (Just avoid scrubbing the printed "US" and maker's marks)

Hi,

it depends what's your objective. If you want to display a brand new example of each supplier, then yes, clean it.

If you want to display combat-used gear, you should definitely keep it untouch (for my part I never clean any of my items except some dust sometimes or clear rust threat like verdigris). Bear in mind that soldiers were not looking after the shape of their items (except weaponry) and only at HQ and MP levels the leather had to be shined.

You can also buy a cheap 1911 repro to display in your holster and keep its shape.

Max

Your gear is salty but just enough to look good ... why clean it ?

But if you want to clean, warm water and soap will do the trick.

So if I leave the grease/oil on the First aid pouch, it will be ok 5-10-15 years down the road?

How do you know it hasn't already been on there for 60+ years!? FA pouches are cheap and easy to find. If you're reluctant to clean it, but it bothers you, you can easily find another. In fact, they make for good, low-price collectibles in their own right...there are different styles and colours...British-made etc., plus the various Carlisle dressings to fill them.

teufelhunde.ret

Your gear is salty but just enough to look good ... why clean it ?

But if you want to clean, warm water and soap will do the trick.

Agree...