LF&C M1918 Fighting Knife

tripoli

Hello all, New member here, greetings to you!

I picked up this interesting trench knife and am curious what you think.

My understanding is that while waiting for action the GI was inspired to cut away the brass and replace it with canopy glass from aircraft. You can still see the ".1" from "M. 1918" and the "C" from "L.F.& C.".

The plexy inserts are of slightly different thickness.

Any value ideas?

post-104753-0-48990600-1353525995.jpgpost-104753-0-54723300-1353526007.jpg

post-104753-0-59111200-1353526017.jpgpost-104753-0-93251100-1353526025.jpg

Very nice

That's the sort of modified knife I like

Not sure of the value on this one but myself I wouldn't blink at paying $300 for it

Regards joe

That's a neat theater knife. Never seen one like it; not even on the Wright's book. It looks like someone took it apart at one time and did not put the Plexiglas rings back on it in the same way they came off. If it's not too much work, I would suggest taking it apart and putting it back correctly. To the right collector, I would suspect that it would fetch $400-$500.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum.

[Great first-post, BTW!]

That is a really unique knife!

I wouldn't even have imagined this being done to a MK 1, yet alone seen one like it!

I wonder if it was, (at least partially), done to reduce the weight of it...

I would certainly follow-up, on GB's suggestion, of re-fitting the Plexiglas rings, back to original conformity. Just carefully remove the pommel nut, and spend some "puzzle-time".

Regards,

Don.

Still-A-Marine

Outstanding knife. I must admit I would drop some good money on something like that. You'll most likely never find another even close.

I also agree with gunbarrel's suggestion. I would try to line up the plexiglass spacers better.

Bill

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I had assumed that the plexy had been done by eye but on further consideration I will give the maker the benefit of the doubt. The rest of the mods were done perfectly, maybe the rings are out of order as you suggest. I'll let you know...

Carlos