strap on the De Havilland Mosquito

namvet

Ahhh....the "Wooden Wonder"! The only things faster were the German jets. The USAAF also deployed the "Mossie" in a reconnaissance role.

post-8022-0-48638000-1353520338.jpg

I think it might be the one which recently made its post-restoration maiden flight in NZ? Those modern leather-covered "hard-hats" modelled on the old WW2 flight helmets are really cool! They look much better than a "jet helmet" when flying a WW2 warbird.

With a P38 and a Spitfire flying alongside, right?

The twin boom aircraft is actually DH Vampire jet, the second jet to enter service with the RAF and Fleet Air Arm after the Gloster Meteor.

Rob

I posted this on 2 ww2 forums that have a lot of brits on them. they went ape sh** watching it. these tubes can be downloaded

We Brits are very fond of our Mossies, Spits and Hurricanes etc! ;)

This brings to mind a story told to me by a gentleman I used to work with. He flew Dakotas on Operation Market Garden as well as Wellington bombers.

Not long after the war he and some other RAA officers were on a tour of the de Haviland facility. They encountered a company test pilot who told them he was just about to take a Mosquito up for a bit and asked if one of them would like to come along. A fellow in the group who no one had taken much notice of said that it has been a while since he was up in a Mosquito and would not mind a flight. So the RAF officer and the test pilot walked out to the Mossie as the others chatted.

Then one of the men started walking back. Someone said that the RAF officer must have changed his mind about the ride. Then, as the Mossie fired up and taxied out they realized that the approaching figure was the company test pilot, not the passenger.

Turned out that on the way out the two men got to chatting and the test pilot had discovered that his passenger was one of the former squadron commanders of one of the Mosquito units that became famous for taking out high value targets, such as SS Barracks and Gestapo HQ (E..g, 21, 613, 464 or 487). He told the RAF pilot “You don’t need me! Go have some fun!”

The watching men were then treated to the most stunning display of low level aerobatics they had ever seen.

By the way a terrific but little know book that describes the special Mosquito attacks, espcilaly the oen on Shell House in Demark, is The Sixth Floor by Robin Reilly.

For a long time I've been fascinated with the Mosquito, always imagining how it might have "felt" and sounded to pilot an aircraft made of that particular material.

• 1 month later...