Bataan battlefield visit

VeeVee

I tried posting the content in this forum but it doesn't let me post as many pictures as I wanted in one thread. So I'm just including a link to another site where all the photos are with the corresponding background info.

These are photos I took from my trip to the Philippines in December. I visited Mabatang, site of the first battle in the actual defense of Bataan (not the delaying battles):

http://pinoyhistory.proboards22.com/index....read=1198470763

And here are pictures from Mt. Samat, the center of the second defense line:

http://pinoyhistory.proboards22.com/index....read=1198756759

Cheers thumbsup.gif

-victor

• 1 year later...

Hello, just came back from another trip to Bataan. This time to the Abucay Hacienda area where heavy fighting was done by the American 31st Infantry and the 45th Infantry Philippine Scouts against the Japanese in WW2. I started a thread in this other forum. It's easier to link the pictures and comments from there instead of posting everything here. If I remember right this forum doesn't let me post as many pictures as I want which is okay.

Here is the thread but the photos and a tribute video I made are in the second page of the thread. The first page are all maps and "recon"/research discussions.

http://pinoyhistory.proboards22.com/index....=241&page=1

Remember Bataan!

-victor

Thank you sir. We must always remember the common bond that glues your country and mine together.

Thanks :) Just keeping the memory alive. Before the Battlin' Bastards of Bastogne, there were the Battlin' Bastards of Bataan.

• 1 month later...

VeeVee,

Nice photos! I would love to get down there myself!

Did you happened to get any photos in Zigzag pass? I am interested in the 38th Division and the 34th RCT's fight there in 45. Also I am interested in seeing the plaza in front of the main post office in Manilla (Liwasang Bonifacio). This used to be known as Plaza Lawton in honor of General Henry Lawton.

VeeVee,

Nice photos! I would love to get down there myself!

Did you happened to get any photos in Zigzag pass? I am interested in the 38th Division and the 34th RCT's fight there in 45. Also I am interested in seeing the plaza in front of the main post office in Manilla (Liwasang Bonifacio). This used to be known as Plaza Lawton in honor of General Henry Lawton.

Sorry, no pictures of zigzag pass. A friend of mine may have some. I'll check.

http://www.pia.gov.ph/default.asp?m=12&amp...&y=&mo=

Ambassador Kenny addresses veterans

By Alice Nicart

Manila (8 April) -- United States Ambassador to the Philippines, Kristie Kenny spoke with her heart yesterday before a host of veterans and their sons and daughters on the occasion of the 67th Bataan Day Celebration at Mt. Samat, Bataan.

Seeing the elderly who sat prominently in the audience yet wearily, Kenny's word directly spoke about their sacrifices which according to her were a lot of inspiration.

For a start Kenny greeted the old folks (some have fallen asleep in their chairs), in Tagalog with rather a foreign twang, yet to those who heard her say, was a demonstration of great friendship.

"Magandang umaga po sa inyong lahat, magandang umaga mga beterano," was her well-applauded warm greetings to all who gathered for the Bataan Day.

Kenny admitted that she was humbled by the many Filipinos who stood for the Philippines and for other peace-loving nations. But perhaps she said, many did not know that their service will represent the face of freedom around the world.

"Perhaps you did not know then, that you stood up for the future," was continued guess.

She even presumed that many Filipinos did so, not because of the many geo-physical issues at that time but because they knew the country needed them.

"Perhaps you did not know that your sacrifices will inspire generations later or perhaps, you did not know that many of you will not survive. These things we know today," she said, because then, you knew that your family, your neighbors and friends needed you.. their future needed you to be strong.

Kenny emphasized that the celebration honored not only those who survived but also who didn't; the many civilians who helped out those who were weak; those who were failing.

The lady top ranking officer reminded her audience that the celebration of the Bataan Day fell on the Holy Week which is an important week, when we all recognize new beginnings born of sacrifice when we recognize triumph over despair and light over dark.

In acknowledging the efforts of the veterans, Kenny said that as their courage and heroism were being celebrated, it was also a celebration of the light and freedom the veterans have given them. The joy of inspiration, that we still feel today whenever we hear from them, see them, or read what they have done, and most of all, "we celebrate the new beginnings, a new era, a better friendship of peace-loving countries who now work together inspired by the services of the veterans", the lady concluded. (PIA-Eastern Samar)

• 1 year later...

It is so sad that the history of the Philippines and the U.S which was so entertwined for so many years and the amount of blood expended there,a very large part of it among the civilian population on our behalf,during WW2 is a largely forgotten era of our history.

Hats off to you sir for keeping it alive and to all who served there.

• 2 years later...
P-40Warhawk

Thank you for remembering them.

They had a hard fight, and a hard wait for victory.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...