Here are my 2 M1s from my collection. Always on the look out for my next one and wanting something with insignia or with a camo cover. Anyway all comments are appreciated :D

post-98690-0-74981300-1353430815.jpg

Always looking for quality/interesting original, WWII M1 helmets with leather chinstraps intact as well :excl:

Great start to your collection, too bad the one has the broken leather liner chinstrap but, such is the way with these very thin and deteriorating leather straps. Be careful, once you start collecting helmets, they become a compulsion. :)

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Nice honest lids. Well done!

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

For display purposes the broken strap could be fixed. I've done it myself..... more than once actually, after breaking dry straps when stretching them over the bill...(we've all probably done that at some time or another!) :o Remove the strap. Place some hi-tack clear adhesive tape beneath one broken end on a flat surface. Allow the tape to protrude at least half an inch. Then carefully line up the other broken end and press them firmly together onto the tape. Then, trim off the excess tape with a sharp blade. That should hold both halves together well enough for you to carefully slacken the buckle and to re-fit the strap and to gently ease it back over the bill. Once in place the tape will be all but invisible. You might also consider applying some Pecards leather dressing to the chinstrap with a Q-tip once it's in place. This will help re-invigorate the dry leather .

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Thank you ill give it a try it got pretty badly wrecked unfortunately... worse now than in picture when i removed it to try leather glue

Ouch! :o Give it a whirl...nothing to lose! You could probably source an original WW2 replacement on ebay. Trouble is, these days they are selling for silly money....$100+ for a nice green-buckle is not unheard of! A less expensive alternative would be a NOS 50s/60s example. These can usually be found on ebay too. They're pretty much like late WW2 types but will look much "newer" than your helmet .

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Currently on ebay.....350644932663....130802351691....150895559352...

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Thank you a lot Sabrejet!!

;)

Winston Churchill

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

Very nice helmets mate, definately the best type to buy IMHO.

OIF 04-05 AUSSIE VET

20 years experience in BUYING and SELLING Militaria

Collecting and Researching ALL THINGS 1st and 2nd MARDIV '39 -'45

1st MARDIV activity in Australia post Guadalcanal and Australian Manufacturers contracted to supply clothing and equipment for the refit.

2nd MARDIV involvement on Guadalcanal and 'Bloody' Tarawa

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really remember how to ID a WWII leather chin strap anymore, but keep in mind any chinstrap from WWII will probably be very brittle.

Just giving how thin the leather is. Be gentle, and I'm sure it'll work perfectly.

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif