SOG CCC RT member

Spy vs Spy

Hey guys.

I bought 2 Jungle Jackets last week from a known and respected seller / collector.

The two jackets belonged to Richard Hawe.

As seen in Who´s Who he is listed in RT IOWA, but he is not listed in Hardy SOG volume 1, over IOWA.

I sure could need some help here guys.

-So Im asking for help in casting some light over these Jungle Jackets, patches and especially the RT IOWA patch and any aditional information about HAWE.

What info I have found so far from different books and the seller is as follows.

Hawe, Richard L "RICK" SGT TF2AE (Task Force 2 Advisory Element)

(page 57 in Who´s Who from MACV-SOG, by Stephen Sherman)

02 / 13 / 71 - 05 / 01 / 71. RT IOWA 1-1

(page 398 in Who´s Who)

05 / 01 /72 - 02 / 12 / 72 A Co Reaction / Exploitation Elements

(page 393 in Who´s Who)

05 / 01 /72 - 02 / 12 / 72 Special Missions Force (SMF) (Pleiku)

From Creash / Rescue Platoon (TF2AE). Actrd as early field team for JCRC.

(page 404 in Who´s Who)

? Transferred from Command and Control Central Hatchet Force to join Recon Team (RT) TEXAS.

November / December 1971 - March 1972. RT TEXAS 1-1

(page 370 MACV-SOG Team History of a Clandstine Army, by Jason M Hardy)

Seller also provide info that HAWE should have been on RT LOUISIANA.

Sorry I couldn´t make photos any bigger.

If you guys need more photos please let me know. If you need bigger photos I can e-mail the original ones. If you have info you don´t want to post here for any reason please send a PM and I will provide my e-mail.

Best regards// Martin

post-2634-0-39292700-1353422840.jpg

Looks good....the fade to the RT Iowa patch looks right based on its position (top part of patch just under the pocket flap).

wow. I mean...... wow. That is so damn cool. See, I dont understand how this is not pinned. This is fantastic. This is amazing. I made noises when I first saw the pictures...

on the history of the pieces:

By 1970, SOG was very much winding down everyone involved knew the war was over and that it was not long before the army disbanded the small group of heroic men. Your guy seemed to have been in hatchet force, an amazing position. He would have been one of several NCO's in charge of around 100 native montegards or nung Chinese He may have seen action several times in hatchet forces impressive career. After all, inserting into laos or cambodia to run around with 100 guys killing everything you see or blocking a vital road with unlimited air power at your finger tips is an exciting profession.

But late in the war, the hatchet forces were disbanded out, in a general down size of SOG units. Due to the unreliability of AVRN high command, and the fact that moles were everywhere freely giving information to North Vietnam, teams were touching down and getting chewed up by an enemy that knew exactly where they were inserting. Teams were being lost, good men killed. The guys in hatchet force were sent to teams to bulk them back up to operational status. This is where your guy comes in. SoG was not a conventional unit in any way, and had scattered paper trails. There probably was a paper trail when he was sent from the hatchet force to recon elements. But if he was needed more on RT Iowa than RT Texas, than inter camp decisions would have not been meticulously recorded. So, this guy had some of the most dangerous time to run recon. The intel was bad, the enemy knew you were coming, and many of the air elements had pulled out of country so you might not even have air support when you called "prairie fire!". Bottom line: Your guy was a badass. You own some of the most amazing SOG related jackets I have ever seen. Keep on maintaining the history of these brave men. ;) PS: If you ever need to pass those on to another steward, you who to PM....

Thanks for all posts so far :)

@River Patrol, I was thinking in that same line. It can clearly be seen that the patch has a more over all faded color then the top of the patch that has been covered by the pocket flap. Thanks for your input River Patrol.

-Im still looking for anyone that can shed some light on the RT IOWA patch or have aditional info about HAWE?

Regards// Martin

The ARVN patch on the pocket (designation not recalled, but ARVN counterpart to SOG) was widely worn in I CTZ by SFers rendered "homeless orphans" in the late-1970 drawdown of US forces. The orphans were people whose tours were not yet at least half done or who volunteered to stay on.

In Da Nang, once the HQ of 5th SFGA was inactivated (?Dec 70), a couple dozen such orphans served, under MACV ICTZ control, as "training advisors" to the all-ARVN teams. In theory, they no longer went into the field with the VNese. About Feb 1971 (after LAM SON 791), they were ordered to take off their SF SSIs. They did, but left the Abn tabs on and did not put on MACV SSIs. They also were told no more green berets, and they went to black baseball caps, with red visor undersurface, and bright-metal rank and wings.

@Andrews. The pocket patch you are talking about? is the SCU patch. Special Commando Unit, only worn by MACV-SOG. Can't really remember the year but it was used before 70ies, maybe around 67-68.

Maybe some one here know exactly when the SCU first came to be used by SOG?

Regards// Martin

• 6 months later...
ChrisBuccini

Hey Martin,

You have no idea how awesome of a find these are..I'm serious. You have the jacket of one of my best friends (richard hawe jr) dad!!!! He was looking up his dads Vietnam history and came across these. Such an amazing find. I don't want to give his personal info on the web so is there anyway you can write me a personal message? This is the Gods honest truth, I have been waiting days to finally write this. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Chris Buccini

Very nice. Rare to see uniforms in the present day with RT patches still on them. Thanks for sharing.

Fender Rhodes

Beautiful jackets. Love the RT and SCU patches. Has Jason Hardy seen these? If so, what are his impressions of them?

Just love seeing the MACV SOG stuff...

R/

FR

• 5 months later...

Last one for today

Hi Martin.This is Real jungle jacket with RT IOWA pocket patch,belonged to Richard Hawe?,or not Real?.This currently sewn RT IOWA patch into the jacket?. :)

Joseba

Hi Joseba,

You should post a intro in the new member introductions thread and tell us a bit about yourself, what you collect and that type of thing.

cheers