Emergency Water cans- found in S.P. vets grouping

wagner

Hi Guys,

I found these 2 cans which still feel like they are filled with water, in a vets grouping who served in the South Pacific in 1944/45.

Can someone tell me more about when these were used, and any collector value would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

-wagner-

Vetg-Fairplay037-1.jpg

Vetg-Fairplay038-1.jpg

craig_pickrall

They were used in Life Raft emergency kits. Maybe other places as well. I think they are USN items with the grey paint.

These are 1950s 1960s era tins of water for survival kits, etc The date 1962 are probably the packing date. They appear to have a USN contract number....Might get a couple dollars or so.

Army used them also in aircraft survival kits up until about 2000 when the Mylar water pouches came out. I have about half dozen myself, but they are not in as good as condition as yours.

The N383-155s-77754 number tells us for sure this is a US Navy contract item and it's a post-WWII item. This number was used beginning during the Korean War. Here's a photo of a case of these from 1952.

waterbox.jpg

The military specification on these "MIL W 15117" dates back to WWII and is still on the books today. The Coast Guard required that standard to be met for canned water packed with civilian life rafts.

These were also in refugee relief supplies in SEA. Saw pallets of them in 1970, after a typhoon. Funny how they appeared in the "black" market stalls shortly thereafter.... (The VNese liked them for making cocktails, as local water was, well, crummy.)

I don't know how valid the check is, but when we inspected them for Army survival kits we'd strike them with a palm on one end. If you felt a "glop", it was good to drink. If a "splash", not so much.

Ha!

We had a butterbar (2nd Lt.) who saw these cans in an old Civil Defense barrel. He asked if there was real water in the cans (he hadn't picked them up yet). I and the other NCOs told him that the cans had dehydrated water in them and that you had to add 10 oz of water to re-hydrate the water. Then we told him to go tell the Commander that he found some cans of dehydrated water. He didn't come back for a long time ... I guess the CO told him something different.

It's always fun to rib a shavetail.

BEAR

I pulled the same type of water cans out of our emergency kit in a Minuteman III Launch Control Centers floor in the mid 80's. We were looking for the emergency bottle of Jack Daniels but didnt find it.