Can anyone help figure out who signed this photo of the USS Indianapolis

DoubleEnvelopment

DoubleEnvelopment

Hi,

I recently accquired this photograph of the USS Indianapolis signed by several of it's crewmen. I cannot however, identify the last signature.

Here is a scan of the picture, I am posting it on an outisde source so it can be large enough to show the detail.

http://i1270.photobu...ndianapolis.jpg

The 3 signatures I can identify are:

Lyle Umenhoffer (top left)

Robert Bunai (middle left)

Loel Dene Cox (right side)

The last signature that I cannot identify is the bottom signature on the left hand side.

I have scoured the list of the surviving crewman and cannot find any name that looks like a decent match for this so I was hoping someone could help me. Here is the listing from the USS Indianapolis website http://www.ussindian...is.org/crew.htm . I have tryed looking at the rankings as well as the last names that start with "M" and even "N" and "W" and still can't come up with anything.

It looks like maybe the pen the signer was using wasn't working very well. or it Got smudged off partially.

My only other theories were that 1) it was signed by someone who was on the crew, but not at the time of the accident 2)IT was signed by a non-crewman 3) It is some kind of description about the boat.

If you have seen this signature before or might be able to figure out something about it that I cannot I really appreciate it, thank you!!!

-Matt

It does look as though the signer (or someone else) has over-signed the original and has made a hash of it. How about the survivor "Kenley M Lanter S1" with the first letter "L" of the last name partly obscured by the second letter "a"?

post-1963-0-81168900-1353309281.png

I concur with Wailuna.

The arrow from the signature appears to match the location given by S1c Lanter as his position when the ship was torpedoed.

RC

The rank difference is interesting.

It is similar, not quite the same.

But I do feel it is probably him, the arrow is pointing to the signal bridge and that is where he reported his location as when the ship was torpedoed.

RC

Rusty, To me the first picture does look like a "3", abet a very narrow "3".

True, it does look like a narrow "3".

RC

...The rank difference is interesting...It is similar, not quite the same....But I do feel it is probably him, the arrow is pointing to the signal bridge and that is where he reported his location as when the ship was torpedoed....

“SM 3/c” is the abbreviation for signalman 3rd class. Evidently Mr. Lanter was promoted from seaman 1st class (S1) to signalman 3rd class after he left the Indianapolis. The rank insignia shown in the center of Mr. Lanter's memory board is for SM 3/c.

post-1963-0-64296900-1353365772.jpg

post-1963-0-07439600-1353365779.jpg

DoubleEnvelopment

Thanks so much everyone. It must be Lenley!

I also agree that he must have been promoted later...

For example I have 3 Arthur Jackson autographs:

2 he lists his Rank as PFC Arthur Jackson (at the TIme of his CMOH Action)

in another he lists his rank as Capt.

I think the arrow is definitely where he was at the time the japanese torpedo struck.

Thanks again everyone see you around the forums.

-Matt

he was most fortunate to be up there. the story goes the first torpedo sliced off the entire bow just below the bridge. she sank in 11 mins. its quite a story

DoubleEnvelopment

he was most fortunate to be up there. the story goes the first torpedo sliced off the entire bow just below the bridge. she sank in 11 mins. its quite a story

Thats for sure, Any of those survivors have SERIOUS guts, I for one would have gone insane from the thirst after being in the water a few days. I have 10 or so signatures from the surviving crewmen. I treasure them.

Thats for sure, Any of those survivors have SERIOUS guts, I for one would have gone insane from the thirst after being in the water a few days. I have 10 or so signatures from the surviving crewmen. I treasure them.

they made a flick about this called mission of the shark. (1991) now im reading another one is being made by warner bros.

first time i heard about the Indy was in the movie Jaws