Early WWI 13 star Navy aviator Wing

hink441

I was following this auction on e-bay, and I was very intrigued by the stars on the shield. I have never seen stars on a Navy wing before. I was a little surprised at what the wing sold for. Is this a legit early Navy wing? Just trying to learn about these Navy wings. Any comments and/or thoughts on this wing? Thanks for looking.

Chris

http://www.ebay.com/...cvip=true&rt=nc

post-10825-0-31166000-1353289659_thumb.jpg

post-10825-0-99044400-1353289742_thumb.jpg

post-10825-0-88491400-1353290027.jpg

I would say someone got a great deal on a rare style of WW1 USN wings. These are really long and may be a prototype due to stars being on the shield. I have a pair just like these that I "know" are genuine. I must say the front view photo is really poor and it makes it look cast or something. I believe that is just the lighting. I think that kept the bids way down. The back hardware and finish looks just like mine, and that's what sells me on it.

Chris,

Wow! That is one of the rarest and most highly prized World War 1 USN Aviator wing badges :love: to be offered by any dealer in many-a-moon.

Listen to Kurk who has been around for a long time and knows his stuff. Frankly, I've only seen a couple of photos of WW1 USN aviators wearing the badge in my life time; therefore, to say the buyer who bought it was one lucky fellow would be a understatement.

Cliff

post-4542-0-11054600-1353293940_thumb.jpg

post-4542-0-74851300-1353295520_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that great photo, Cliff. I've never seen these wings in a period photo before. Glad to see they were a type actually "worn" and not just some manufacturer sample or prototype.

Wow, thanks to Kurt & Cliff for the great info. I wish I had the knowledge beforehand, I would have bidded on these. I am glad to hear they appear legit. I wonder who won these? It would be nice if they were won by a member of the forum. :P

Chris

.......I wonder who won these? It would be nice if they were won by a member of the forum. :P

Chris

If it is a member, he would be hard pressed NOT to show them off!!!!!! :)

Cliff, that wing is absolutely beautiful !! I would love to have one like it in my little collection. Is the maker's mark blocked for security reasons? I would imagine if the fraud/criminal/con artist had that info these wings would suddenly become common-place. Thanks for sharing this awesome wing !!!

Chris

The original maker of these badges was Robert Stoll, 19 Cliff Street, New York, NY. Here is another nice example.

Cliff

Cliff, you are the man.....very cool wing.

Is the maker's mark blocked for security reasons? I would imagine if the fraud/criminal/con artist had that info these wings would suddenly become common-place.

Hi Chris and John.

There's nothing covert going on beneath that tape but I did blot out the code that was printed on it which I use to keep informed as to the date and from whom the badge came from.

The actual makers (RS) mark can still been seen just below the tape but it's very small.

Cliff

post-4542-0-96963000-1353841805_thumb.jpg

Wow, Cliff, wonderful post! Thank you for the info!

I have 3 of these wings in my collection: Plated Brass, Rolled Gold, and a 14K example (the Carscallen wing in Wings of Gold), but yours looks to be a 4th variant: gilt sterling. Please verify.

Interestingly, none of my wings, nor the one from the auction shown above, have a maker mark: glad yours did so you could solve the mystery!

Thanks again,

Ron

Ron, I'm sure that Chris, Kurt, Robin, John and Russ will agree: Don't keep us in suspense any longer old friend, we want to see your examples' too.

Cliff :-)

I'm afraid it will have to be another week before I can get them all in one image together: I've loaned out the Rolled Gold example for a uniform display... :wacko:

That, and I have to admit, I'm not really sure how to post images on here...

• 1 month later...

Better late than never...just figured out how to post images here...

Top to bottom:

14K Engraved to WWI Pilot with Tiffany style locking catch.

Rolled Gold (XX Mark) with precursor locking catch found often on WWI vintage wings. Looks like a come-under locking catch (which is more prevalent in 30's-WWII wings, but actually patented during WWI), but operates like a Tiffany catch with limited rotation of the lock lever.

Gilt Brass with open tongue-type C catch.

post-2471-0-61154500-1357172852_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If it is a member, he would be hard pressed NOT to show them off!!!!!! :)

GO FIGURE............I ended up with this pair of wings!!

I had no idea where they went, but I was contacted last week and asked if I would like them.

post-8213-0-88297400-1358058723.jpg

post-8213-0-87916200-1358058744.jpg