Letters Home

5thwingmarty

I wasn't quite sure which forum to post this in but this one seemed good.

A frined of mine from the 99th Bomb Group Historical Society sent me an e-mail last week asking if I had seen the group of letters for sale on ebay written by a member of the 99th to his wife during WWII. As far as we knew the man was still alive and doing pretty well, and the listing was not from a seller in the town where he lives so it did not seam to be him that was selling the letters.

We got in touch with the vet's son and confirmed he was still alive and well, and his son was supprised to hear someone was selling letters written by his dad. The son got in touch with the seller, who was surprised to hear from a relative of the vet, and even more surprised to hear the vet was still alive. The seller immediately cancelled the auction and shipped the letters to the son. She said she had picked up the letters at least ten years ago and had no idea where they had come from. She lives near where the vet lived right after the war, so the letters may have been been lost when the family moved many decades ago.

So the happy ending will be when the son gives his dad the letters for Christmas this year.

Marty