Basic Wings Question

Tim B

Very nice and comprehensive analysis Tim!! Your photography skills are also excellent.

Chris

Thank you for the kind words Chris, I just like to be able to contribute and hopefully others will find the information useful.

Tim

Here's another pilot set, this one by the American Insignia Company (Amico). I have seen different hallmarks for Amico and "think" this one may be an earlier version, though I am not sure here. Again, the standard 3" X 3/4". Weight is 17.7 grams.

Nothing super on this pattern but it's a clean design, a bit more "art deco" IMO. :P

Tim

post-50776-0-09495500-1353785824_thumb.jpg

A close up of the hallmark. Usually I just see a name. Anyone???

Tim

That hallmark is the first of five used by Amico, however it is the only one generally seen on

packaging (cards and boxes).

Your wing is most likely from the early war years, probably 1941-1942.

A much more difficult version to find, is the same wing, with that hallmark, in non-sterling.

Best, John

Hi John,

Many thanks for that bit of info. I had read on another site that this hallmark was fairly uncommon for AAF wings and more commonly seen on naval aviator wings. Good to know!

Tim

I'll post one more set for today and stop, to allow others to view/comment on the thread thus far.

I've saved this set for last for a reason and more along the lines of why I was asking for more reference type of details to begin with.

Here's an unmarked aerial gunner wing that has some fine detailing to the wing feathering. I had "heard" that these highly detailed wings were sometimes found in Dan Smilo & Sons boxes, but I cannot confirm that is actually the manufacturer here. If anyone else knows...great!

The wing is the standard size 3" X ~ 3/4" but the weight is really light compared to others. Measures at 13.8 grams. I was concerned at first but attributed it to different manufacturers.

Tim

post-50776-0-30909100-1353788010_thumb.jpg

Following the same format here, here is a close up of the wing detailing. The contrast between the polished high points and the darkened recesses really set the wing off IMO.

post-50776-0-09895400-1353788130_thumb.jpg

Now, this point is important IMO. Here's another shot of the wing details and note the areas I point to. At first, I thought these might be indicative of a cast reproduction wing and what I was looking at was in fact, cast-fill. However, as I look at the rest of the wing, the other traits tell me the wing is not cast at all.

I know from other areas, usually a cast is going to be slightly smaller in physical dimensions, as the cast will shrink slightly when cooling. It also would be slightly lighter in weight. So, with these "fill" areas and lighter weight, my concerns were obvious.

However, at this point, I feel the wing was probably later in production and the "fill" is a result from a dirty die. Thoughts??

This is why I kind of think a more detailed thread on these type specifics might be worthwhile for collectors. However, I do also understand that those that might fake things do get a bit more information as well. Cuts both ways I'm afraid.

Thanks for looking and any comments are greatly appreciated here.

Tim

post-50776-0-86040900-1353788623_thumb.jpg

Tim,

I for one love the macro photos you have posted. Remionds me to consider a camera upgrade for Christmas! This post reminds me of many older posts and I am glad to see someone who wants to discuss the details. As for This being a SMILO wing I think so. YOu are correct that this pattern can be found in the SMILO boxes as well as one other pattern which I also consider SMILO.

I do not recall off the top of my head if I have see "offical" documentation to verify that this pattern is unique to SMILO but I can say from looking at many boxed sets that have an exact matching outline impression in the box seals it for me.

Here are some photos of the two pattens I consider SMILO based on the above experience... I am always open to new information if anyone has some solid infromation.

post-227-0-82635900-1353806639_thumb.jpg

Outstanding Photos Tim (as usual). Wish others would use a black background as you do, always the very best for silver and bronze items.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

Thanks for the additional comments guys, much appreciated and John, thanks for confirming the Dan Smilo & Sons connection here!

On my photos, I am actually using an old Sony Mavica that uses the 3.5 floppy disc. It only has 3.2 megapixels but for some reason, I really like working with it. I guess I am just too cheap to buy something new until it gives out or my laptop's floppy drive insert quits, whichever comes first! :D

Thanks again! More to come as time permits.

Tim

Appreciate the views and comments thus far; please feel free to voice any concerns if there are any, as it's always meant to be a learning thread as well as showing off items.

Now...in this corner, weighing in at a respectable 18.2 grams.... :) Ding! Another Bell.

post-50776-0-23269500-1354172688_thumb.jpg

Same wood grain type of feathering. What a great dark patina! :love: This one is more gunmetal (perfect for a gunner wing) where the pilot above is taking on a reddish brown patina.

post-50776-0-13430000-1354172855_thumb.jpg

And the same wing notches as the others.

Here's a question for those that know. I have seen other wings recently that have the same notch pattern and appear to have similar feathering but the reverse is different. Did Bell have more than one style of wings?

Tim

post-50776-0-64801300-1354173140_thumb.jpg

God, I'll never be rich!! :lol:

Bought a Powerball and Megamillions ticket for this week. I hardly ever play and there is a good reason for it. Of all the numbers played...not one single number..NOT ONE!! :o:wacko:

• 2 months later...

I noticed that the feather detailing is not as crisp on many Bell bombardier and navigator wings when comparing to the pilot, AG, and AC wings. For those that know, is that normal, or dependant on when the piece was actually struck?

Tim

post-50776-0-64310300-1360906549.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would just continue here instead of starting a new thread.

Here's a nice Bell AG that is actually 2-pc construction with lovely patina.

Is there a guess at timelines when the 2-pc badges started appearing? I think the aerial gunner first appeared in 1943 and Bell had the one piece wing (as shown above) initially, so I assume, late war?

Tim

post-50776-0-55905900-1361918311.jpg

You can see the same typical wing notch pattern as previously discussed. I do see a weaker detailing to the wing feathering as noted on the Bombardier wing above. Searching old threads, I read where Paul thought it might be a different pattern altogether but, are there examples with sharper details?

post-50776-0-45144300-1361918527.jpg