Question, post WWII pistol lanyards?

hawkdriver

After the Hickock WWII pistol lanyard, what was used? I know that in most cases, lanyards were not used. Due to the relative shortage of WWII lanyards we have today, what was used post WWII? I cannot find a single combat picture of a lanyard used during Korea or Vietnam and have never found a pistol lanyard any any groupings I have come into. After Vietnam, I know the green nylon lanyards came into use and then replaced by the current issue coil lanyards. So, what was used during combat in Korea or Vietnam?

Actually a pistol lanyard can be useful only to mounted people just to free asap one hand or avoid a fallen gun (often in the middle of a battle you cannot stop the horse and dismount to find your gun in high grass) and it never was appreciate by foot soldiers cause it's another piece of equipment to tie and hook you. I think the only use was for the "scene" during garrison services (brits look quite cool in short pants and with their lanyards on that revolvers) so it may explain small quantities made after the dismissing of cavalry. Did you notice that around are a lot of mint WWI ones? It was considered surplus since the end of WWI.

Police, including military police, also appreciate lanyards. They make it hard for a bad guy to disarm you during a struggle and either run off with your piece or turn it on you. Post war MP, SP, AP photos often show lanyards in use. But in combat they weren't very useful or popular probably because it made it hard to dump your gear in a hurry.

Tom Bowers

I used a OD nylon lanyard in the summer of 1980 in the Cav, a 60 gunner I was, my Squad leader the first one I had gave it to me to use with my 45, he was a ex Marine an E-5 and got it when he was in the Marines, not sure on anything else other than he personaly owned it, maybe an Issue item he just kept, or a private purchase. I actualy liked using it, I found it utilitarian and not that big of a problem in sliding it on and off over my head, also it had a certain uniqueness, as I bet I was the only guy in the entire 1st Cav Div, apart from the above mentioned MPs, that had the wherewithal to use one out in the field.

I've used a lanyard my whole military career. I guess I'm "mounted", but the lanyard has come in useful often while "dismounted". When properly adjusted and worn, it doesn't get in the way and doesn't prevent me from ditching my gear. Though my sidearm would be one of the very last things I'd ever ditch...

I know this is a WW2 picture, but I like the use of the lanyard on the trooper on the far left. I would imagine that the Hickock lanyards were used in post war years until they were depleted from the supply system.

post-10825-0-39195200-1353283589.jpg

I know that even the M9 has a lanyard loop. And there are NIW never issued lanyards on ebay right now.

lanyard-2.jpg

I show the date this NSN was established was January 01, 1962