M18 Smoke, unused

TheGrayGhost

Picked this up today. M18 Yellow smoke grenade, never been popped, completely intact. I am guessing it is Vietnam era, correct me if I'm wrong. Not really interested in having a live smoke grenade in my house, but the deal was too good to pass up. How much are live smokes going for these days? Any restrictions on shipping these?

IMG_2017.JPG

I have a couple that I have ad for about 20 years. I seperated the fuze from the body to avoid an accident. The fuze just unscrews from the body. As far as shipping I have no idea.

Bob

They are worth two cents.... I will just have to take that one off your hands... :mellow:;):D GREAT FIND MAN. I collect nam stuff and to find that is amazing. It is nam era and in perfect condition. Selling it as is illegal so maybe someone her knows what to do? Regardless, if you want to sell it once its legal beagle look no further than old awheeler...

Oh, let me go grab it for you... Wait a minute, I see what you did there! Guess since I bought the thing, I'm already a criminal.

From what I can tell so far, it's the fuze that's a problem. Guess the old ATF decided to regulate those.

This is merely a suggestion, but if it spins off, perhaps the fuze could be secured and the pin pulled from a distance. Read about a guy demilling a WWI German potato masher in a similar way. Not having it in my hands, though, better advice might be more timely. I never knew these were controlled, actually. Good luck in however you proceed with it.

Several options...

1.Leave as is and tape the handle down.I have owned some almost 30 years and no issues.They were at every gunshow for years.

2.Unscrew the striker and fuze assembley,find a nice open area wire it to a post and run a long cord to the pin and pull it

3.Pull the pin and watch the pretty smoke.On friday nights in high school we would drop a yellow or violet on main

street by the cop shop,drive off and watch the fun.The artillery sims were also fun :D

Thanks everyone for the ideas. As much as I don't want a live smoke, I would also hate to burn it for nothing as it is pristine. I have an already popped smoke, so I would imagine it would be easy to burn just the fuze in that can.

I would like to know what the value is on this thing complete, with a burned fuze, and completely burned. I have a friend who is a Class 3, is that someone who can legally buy it?

Don't be a nervous nellie...there is nothing illegal about smokes....the only new thing that came about in the past year which is a grey area, is MAYBE the fuze may be considered illegal (who knows, you have to be a lawyer to understand their drivel).

So at most, unscrew your fuze, secure it in a vice (only because smoke fuzes are instantaneous), tie a string to the pin to pull, yank it and let it pop. Screw it back in your unmessed with body. Don't ruin a perfectly good smoke body over misinformation. The body is 100% legal and no problem.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother...you could buy M18's through the mail....

Here is some more info on this....

"There is no law or ruling declaring smoke grenades or their fuzes illegal. There's some fear monger's out there claim that ATF declared it a DD, others claim that the M201 fuse has an "explosive component" and is prohibited under the Explosive Regulations. No one can produce any evidence of ATF's official position or ruling on this other than an "ATF said" statement by ALS, a supplier of these grenades. Their statement was that ATF "requested" that ALS stop selling to civilians due to the "explosive component" issue. And the supply of these newly manufactured grenades has seemed to dry up so ALS must be complying to ATF's "request".

Everything you'll want to know, the truths, half-truths, and untruths, can be found here."

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_21/331615_Smoke_grenade_now_considered_DD_.html&page=1

Thanks for the info. It's no so much being a nervous nellie, I just don't have experience with them and I can't find any definitive info. I knew these weren't "illegal" but the fuze was now supposedly "regulated" whatever that means. I just don't want to be the wrong time, wrong place guy with an a law enforcement officer deciding to make his/her own interpretation.

Is there any restrictions on shipping these bad boys? I'm sure you have to tell the Post Office something, but I bet grenade wouldn't be a good choice of words.

I wouldn't ship by post office, use UPS or Fed-Ex...USPS is really anal about ammunition, cannot do it, so I would stay away from them for this. Again, if you are really worried about the fuze, just pop it, once its popped, there definitely is no problem.

If you pop the grenade, and let it burn, it will most likely damage the paint pretty bad, and it won't be worth what it is unpoppped. Its a toss up, sometimes it really cooks the paint and blisters it badly, sometimes not. But since there is absolutely no question that the body with the smoke composition is in no way illegal or regulated, why bother with that.

Its extra nice since you have the container too....

When they were available by mail they ran around $75-$85....that was from retailers though...I picked one up (green) a few months ago at a show from a guy walking around with it for $20...so YMMV...

The whole fuze thing is very grey...there is nothing that comes out and SAYS they are regulated...the smoke fuze is technically not a "detonator"...its an "ignitor"...it starts the smoke mixture burning.

As I said, if you decide to sell it or are just nervous about having a live smoke in the house (won't do any real harm, just make a mess), and don't want to chance anything, take the fuze out and pop it in a vice with a string...re-install the spoon, put it back in, and bob's your uncle...

I sold one at my garage sale for $40. If you can find them in person with the extra shipping costs I think that might be average. Perhaps a bit more.

Just FYI- I wouldn't recommend "popping" the fuze by itself. You would probably get hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

In relation to the legality of the item, last I checked the 201 fuse is mentioned in the CFRs, ATF has no "official position" but when you are in the industry (ALS) and they "suggest" something to you it is wise to comply if you want to stay in business.

So the government doesn't have to officially make something "illegal" to effectively make it disappear, you just have to put pressure on the right companies. Sigh...

I sure hope they don't have any other bright ideas to "suggest".