National Infantry Museum, Fort Benning, GA

arnhem_art

Curious, from what I have been reading, that white lanyard is actually a post war version due to the shape of the clip. I can't be 100% sure as I don;t have the spec which authorized THAT clip, but the only wartime one I can find is the different style.

Could he clip be a german manufacture and the lanyard a piece of white para riser cord??Something made in theatre and worn??

The New Age has hit Federal museums, including military ones, such as Infantry at Benning and USMC at Quantico. New-build sites must have two things: 1. Entertainment value, especially for families of tourists; 2. Political correctness. Optional, but recommend, is "Less is More", particularly with regard to INFORMATION.

NOTE: Excellence in CONTENT/artifacts is not important.

The New Age has hit Federal museums, including military ones, such as Infantry at Benning and USMC at Quantico. New-build sites must have two things: 1. Entertainment value, especially for families of tourists; 2. Political correctness. Optional, but recommend, is "Less is More", particularly with regard to INFORMATION.

NOTE: Excellence in CONTENT/artifacts is not important.

Well said! I agree with both your examples to back up your point, too, having been to both and had the same conclusions. The USMC museum does a far better job overall than the Benning museum, in my opinion. But they too have buried all the neater stuff in favor for setting a scene...

I endorse arnhem_art's assesment. The Infantry Museum at FT Benning is truly a unique experience. I've been several times and something different (in a previously observed display) seems to show itself. Some exhibits have sound, light, and vibration effects. Exhibits are continually being enhanced although I'll agree the Vietnam exhibit leaves much to be desired.

Lost on most folks is that the hall is 100 yards long, as the last 100 yards belongs to the Infantry.

I was there about 20 years ago and was impressed then. It looks like they have upgraded and improved it as these displays do not look like what I recall. I may have to put this one on my list for a return trip.

G

I implore everyone to VISIT this important space .........!!!!

Its got lots of stuff and I seen some things that I never even knew existed .........just that given the money and time invested felt it lacking ...but thats just me .

owen

I was there about 20 years ago and was impressed then. It looks like they have upgraded and improved it as these displays do not look like what I recall. I may have to put this one on my list for a return trip.

G

hi Gill

sorry to bother you buddy Ive been trying to message you, but you cant receive any messages

can you pm me please if you get a chance

yours respectfuly

John

wow I love that Audie Murphy display im am stealing that (the idea of course ;) ) I was there a few years ago and loved it not your typical museum thats for sure (it's much better than most) looks like I need to go back and check out there new display's

• 5 months later...
439th Signal Battalion

I went and toured the museum earlier today and was quite impressed with the first series of interactive exhibits before going downstairs to the different periods (the Revolution and Civil War era is still under construction). I feel, however, that the old museum had more on display and more to offer in terms relics, uniforms, weapons, etc., etc.

I remember many things on display from the old building that were not seen at the new. I cringe to think at what has been packed up and sits in storage for months or years to come...

• 3 months later...

I went and toured the museum earlier today and was quite impressed with the first series of interactive exhibits before going downstairs to the different periods (the Revolution and Civil War era is still under construction). I feel, however, that the old museum had more on display and more to offer in terms relics, uniforms, weapons, etc., etc.

I remember many things on display from the old building that were not seen at the new. I cringe to think at what has been packed up and sits in storage for months or years to come...

I was there last year this time for Master Gunner School. I saw that they have moved the 199TH LIB monument over to the New Museum. What I remember must from the old Museum was one of MG Davison's uniforms and some of his effects were on display. Did not see anything at the New

Jimmy

• 4 weeks later...

Another museum on the "will visit" list.

And if you saw the museum in the past at the old hospital location, it'll be on your, "will miss all the neat displays I'll never get to see again" list...

• 1 month later...
TreasureHunter

Awesome museum, I was amazed how detailed and large it is. Was there for my nephews grad from basic, we spent a good 2 hrs in the museum and never did make it outside to the display. Graduation is held on Soldier Field behind the museum, they explain the duties of an infantry squad and each soldiers duties. Soldier Field is actually soil from infantry battles all over the world, Yorktown, Soissons, Corregidor, Normandy, Hill 180, LZ X-ray, Afghanistan & Iraq. The museum is off base and very easy parking. I cant wait to go back and spend more time in the area. Also staying on base is very easy, no ID needed at the gate, its an open base. We stayed at a chalet on a lake, very nice although it was very cold to my Florida blood, slept 7 easy.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother and I took my dad here 2 years ago next month, it was the 60th anniversary of his graduation from OCS in Feb 1952 before he went over to Korea. He hadn't been back since. It was amazing to share his stories with him and see all those places he had spoken about when I was growing up. Sure much had changed and he hardly recognized the camp and city with all the growth but it was just so special for both him, myself and my brother. The museum was fantastic, granted different and "modern" but nonetheless well worth the trip. My dad's favorite part of the trip was the recreated camp life with all the original restored buildings. It was "just like I remember" he said and our tour guide, a salty vet from Benning himself, was awesome. As one of the other Forum members noted, they often don't give tours of the site if the weather is inclimate. It was rather cold and lightly raining and they had cancelled tours for the afternoon. However, when we showed up with my 83 year old dad and told them we had come all the way from Massachusetts and Maine to surprise dad on his 60th anniversary from graduating OCS at Ft. Benning, they were happy to oblige. The other handful of visitors that came along were also so grateful they unlocked the gates and let us roam around in addition to the guided tour. I would love to go back. In fact, the trip was also highlighted when I took a detour on our way there and we went to Tuskegee University. It was just before the opening of "Red Tails" and the university was crowded with the publicity trailer offering free cockpit simulator rides and all sorts of media hype and handouts. We were warmly welcomed (as the only white people there!) and met some wonderful people with great stories. I was so excited and honored to be there, especially at that time. I get goose bumps thinking about that trip and how wonderful it was to share it with my dad and brother. Lots to see around the area too but the museum is excellent.

My brother and I took my dad here 2 years ago next month, it was the 60th anniversary of his graduation from OCS in Feb 1952 before he went over to Korea. He hadn't been back since. It was amazing to share his stories with him and see all those places he had spoken about when I was growing up. Sure much had changed and he hardly recognized the camp and city with all the growth but it was just so special for both him, myself and my brother. The museum was fantastic, granted different and "modern" but nonetheless well worth the trip. My dad's favorite part of the trip was the recreated camp life with all the original restored buildings. It was "just like I remember" he said and our tour guide, a salty vet from Benning himself, was awesome. As one of the other Forum members noted, they often don't give tours of the site if the weather is inclimate. It was rather cold and lightly raining and they had cancelled tours for the afternoon. However, when we showed up with my 83 year old dad and told them we had come all the way from Massachusetts and Maine to surprise dad on his 60th anniversary from graduating OCS at Ft. Benning, they were happy to oblige. The other handful of visitors that came along were also so grateful they unlocked the gates and let us roam around in addition to the guided tour. I would love to go back. In fact, the trip was also highlighted when I took a detour on our way there and we went to Tuskegee University. It was just before the opening of "Red Tails" and the university was crowded with the publicity trailer offering free cockpit simulator rides and all sorts of media hype and handouts. We were warmly welcomed (as the only white people there!) and met some wonderful people with great stories. I was so excited and honored to be there, especially at that time. I get goose bumps thinking about that trip and how wonderful it was to share it with my dad and brother. Lots to see around the area too but the museum is excellent.

That is awesome!!!