National Infantry Museum, Fort Benning, GA

arnhem_art

• 4 weeks later...

I visited the museum in 81 during basic/ait it looks like they improved it. I am glad to see that they preserved some of the barracks from Harmony Church it brought back memories ( B-9-2)

Thanks for posting all of the pictures. How it has changed. I was at Fort Benning 2002 and it was still in the old post hospital building. I would marvel there on the weekends (while everyone else was rushing off post to party) at all of the amazing artifacts and war booty. The experimental Nuclear M-29 Davy Crockett Weapon System always drew my attention as well as the kraut captured items on the third floor? Amazing collection. The museum looks fantastic.

Terry in Colorado

swingcap.jpg

belyflopper.jpg

armorhelmet.jpg

My Dad and I went there last year, the first time I'd been to the place since it was in the old hospital building. If you ever went to the old museum, you're probably going to be disappointed with the new one. The majority of the incredible collection from the old museum is in permanent storage (which I was told was under the entrance of the current museum). The new museum is nice in regard to telling a story, but much of the 'stuff' that people like us want to see is buried under the building where nobody will see it. And the galleries for the earlier wars weren't opened at that time.

Also, the WW2 'company street' of original buildings moved from various places on the post is open to guided tours only. So, if you miss that timeframe (or, as happened to us, bad weather kept the staff from wanting to conduct any tours that day), you won't get anywhere close to all those neat WW2 buildings. I was very disappointed to go all that way just to get no closer than a fence.

Also, you do NOT want to miss the Civil War Naval Museum just down the road from there, it's only about 5 minutes away. My Dad and I spent far more time there and agreed it was a much better museum in regard to showing off an incredible collection.

• 1 month later...

Curious, from what I have been reading, that white lanyard is actually a post war version due to the shape of the clip. I can't be 100% sure as I don;t have the spec which authorized THAT clip, but the only wartime one I can find is the different style.

I was just there for the first time in Dec last year and was let down by the Vietnam display ..............

It was very weak to say the least .

Overall the whole museum lacked "the feeling of history" and was more like a circus or carnie .

owen