I'm selling off my collection..."Twinkies"

MasonK

Either there are some crazy buyers out there, or some sellers are going to be extremely disappointed when there is no payment deposited into their PayPal account! I'm of course leaning towards the latter.

post-29885-0-26238700-1353334978_thumb.jpg

And this one takes the cake (pun intended). "Collector's Quality" Twinkies?!

What's next? Will we see graded Twinkies, similar to comics and baseball cards?

post-29885-0-68477400-1353335339_thumb.jpg

This is a lot of things. Mostly embarrassing and idiotic for the people who actually buy them for such prices. Kinda like right after Sandy rolled through my area. People were selling gas on Craigslist for $100 a gallon.

Looks like Hostess is in mediation with the union and may come to a compromise. I hope they stay afloat, more importantly so the workers are able to keep their jobs, but also so those people who spent $40+ on a box of Twinkies realize how iditoic they are for overpaying for a cheap lunch snack.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-asks-hostess-mediate-union-203749038.html#

Don't worry folks! The bakers union isn't THAT stupid, and withe Teamsters on their butts, they'll fall in line!!

Now.........what to do with those $1000 Twinkies???? :)

For the unintiated Brits: A Twinkie is an American invention, a mass-market bakery snack consisting of sponge cake with a cream filling. It has existed since the 1930s but became a "classic", essential part of juveniles' diet in the 1950s. They have been illustrated here, as above postings.

memphismeister

I have in my possession a genuine 1956 pair of Twinkies (my brother gave it to me then), in original package, no bar code or contents listed but slightly yellowed.

Guaranteed 100% with original filling and finish.

Thank you wiki:

"Twinkies were invented in Schiller Park, Illinois in 1930 by James Alexander Dewar, a baker for the Continental Baking Company. Realizing that several machines used to make cream-filled strawberry shortcake sat idle when strawberries were out of season, Dewar conceived a snack cake filled with banana cream, which he dubbed the Twinkie..."

They have to be fakes, notice the discoloraton around the edges?

memphismeister

How much could I get for a front seam d-bail twinkie?

Depends on the sugar weld at the seam. Durring the 40s the sugar was not heat treated properly and lead to caramelization at the sugar weld joint.

Apparently Union-Hostess talks have failed. The union demanded that Hostess operate at a loss. Hostess management explained that you can only operate at a loss for a limited period of time before the entity collapses and everyone loses.

The union leaders convinced their members that economics do not matter and that greed was the only problem. With that, the hard working members voted to strike which then collapsed the system. So it wasn't greed but pure economics that limited pay.

A valuable lesson that all Americans should learn. It will now be a very hard holiday season for 18,000 workers who spent up to 30 years working for Hostess. I hope their pensions are not lost in the bankruptcy. A tragic gamble.

I know you are all having fun with the Twinkie jokes ... I did as well. But these 18,000 workers represent financial instability for over 50,000 people this Christmas season. A very very sad day.

Clearly, we love our snacks (bigtime).

Just raise the price per unit by 5 or 10 cents and keep both labor and management working. However, I guess that's just too simple.

Speaking only for myself, I will never pay a "stupid price" for militaria but WILL for a premium potato chip or good coffee beans.

Regards to all,

The Wharfmaster

I know you are all having fun with the Twinkie jokes ... I did as well. But these 18,000 workers represent financial instability for over 50,000 people this Christmas season. A very very sad day.

AJ,

I do NOT disagree with your words!!

It's about time however, that unions take note of their proper place in the American economy. NO longer will THREATS and INTIMIDATION work!! As you have wisely stated, unions will have to become aware of the economics of business.

I still have faith that the Teamsters, who WON HUGE CONCESSIONS from Hostess, will prevail, and convince the Bakes it is in their best interest to make a deal.

We WON'T have 18,000 jobless families for Christmas!!!

The best of the season to all!! :)

Clearly, we love our snacks (bigtime). Just raise the price per unit by 5 or 10 cents and keep both labor and management working. However, I guess that's just too simple. Speaking only for myself, I will never pay a "stupid price" for militaria but WILL for a premium potato chip or good coffee beans.

If only you could find a 101st Airborne can of D-Day Pringles. HAHA.

Went to several stores last night to make an investment but the shelves were empty.

They have a 30 day shelf life and then turn back into the chemical sludge from whence they came.

In the early 60's they didn't use preservatives and the delightful cream filled cake was irresistible.

I remember the day like it was yesterday when the recipe changed. Yuk !! ...

Do Not underestimate the power of chemical preservatives :excl:

About 20 years ago, I had a man working for me that brought "Little Debbie Cinnamon-Swirl Bun-Cakes" for his coffee break, EVERY day. They were packaged in a clear, semi-rigid, plastic 'two-pack'.

Well, one day he brought an extra two-pack to share ...while considerate of him, nobody else wanted them, and he ended up leaving them in my shop.

I told him that they were there, but he said "Go ahead and enjoy them sometime..."

I decided to turn them into a "science-experiment", instead... and put them away, unopened, in a drawer.

After, thereabouts 20 years, they are still pliable, and without a trace of mold, etc.!!!

In fact, they appear as they could have been made, 'just-yesterday'.

[i still check them a few times a year, when I happen to open that drawer, and look in back; where they are 'time-capsuled'.]

I have heard-tell [of ACTUAL scientific experiments] that a person who eats such heavily preserved products, on a regular basis, doesn't really require embalming; when that time eventually comes.

Enough of those lovely artificial chemical preservatives, apparently build-up [residual] enough in ones' system/tissue, that the introduction of formaldehyde (or whatever embalming fluid) is actually unnecessary.

MMmmm, GOOD!

Other than potentially cutting down on funeral expenses (Ha), those artificial preservatives are PROVEN to REALLY Not-Be-Good for you, and can create all-kinds-of health issues (the effects, thereof, are still in active research/studies.)

My apologies, in advance, to those who enjoy their snack-cakes, etc.

And I also have sincere compassion for all those workers who are now unemployed.

Regards,

Don.

If only you could find a 101st Airborne can of D-Day Pringles. HAHA.

As a ""Seaservice" collector, I would rather find a number ten can of USS Nevada coffee. I had a cousin aboard on December 7th.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

"Many people, myself included, have serious questions as to the logic behind this strike,"

Judge Robert Drain, of the Bankruptcy Court in the Southern District of New York.

Just a union going too far. The bosses will just pack-up and go to another town, or business. :o

REALLY HELPS THE MEMBERS!

Just a union going too far. The bosses will just pack-up and go to another town, or business. :o

REALLY HELPS THE MEMBERS!

The Titanic did not hit an iceberg and sink due to a failure of the cooks and stewards.

The Wharfmaster

The Titanic did not hit an iceberg and sink due to a failure of the cooks and stewards.

The Wharfmaster

NO! But they paid the price for the Bosses failures, the union bosses, that is.