United Confederate Veterans

hirsca

Sorry, one more. The pic on the right in my previous post is the reverse of this medal. The date is hard to read, but says: April 1902. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-58036100-1353157180_thumb.jpg

Very cool medals.

Are we going to see the mother load in it's entirety ?

Hi manayunkman. Well, maybe not in its entirety at once, but a little at a time. Still documenting and researching all. Stay tuned. Thanks, Al.

Thanks for sharing! UCV items are always great to see. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of them on this forum.

Does anyone know if the UCV has made a Cross of Honor for either the First Gulf War, or the current Wars in the Middle East?

Kevin

Thanks for sharing! UCV items are always great to see. I'm surprised we haven't seen more of them on this forum.

Does anyone know if the UCV has made a Cross of Honor for either the First Gulf War, or the current Wars in the Middle East?

Kevin

You are welcome Kevin. Do you (or anyone else out there in Forummer land) know if the medal is traceable to an individual by its serial number? It could belong to the WW1 USMC Vet whose rim numbered GCM & matching box I have posted earlier (and received outstanding feedback from several Forummers)? Thanks again, Al.

Al,

Yes, I believe the medal number is tracable. The UDC does maintains a list of receiptants for these Cross of Honor medals. Good luck trying to get any information out of the UDC. I have never known them to provide outsiders with information, they won't even provide this information to their own membership.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Al,

I had heard that the UDC are quite secretive about records pertaining to awardees of the Southern Cross of Honor. If true, my thoughts are they would extend that opinion to the subsequent crosses.

The UDC does have a research application pertaining to information on Civil War Veterans which can be found at

Southern Cross of Honor Research Request

A quick google search also found a link to the following:

A Guide to the United Daughters of the Confederacy Southern Cross of Honor records, ca. 1900-1950

Which would seem to be an excellent source of information for someone wishing to research UDC Crosses from the Spanish American War, the Philippine Insurrection, World War I, World War II, and possibly The Korean War. Since this resource is on microfilm, I don't know how convenient it would be to use. It might be something with which an employee of the Library of Virginia might be able to assist.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone has used this reference material to track down the identity of a recipient of a numbered UDC Cross.

Kevin

• 6 years later...